Chapter 5

Kalia's P.O.V

    I don’t immediately tell him about both of my ex-mates because it’s too heartbreaking to share. Instead I tell Prince Maxwell about one of them. River Collyard, my former best friend from our childhood years. We were 20 when we found out we were each other’s mate, it was just 2 years after my first mate had passed away, and I was more than determined to hang on to River without any issues. 
     Well the issues brought themselves to me when River rejected me right on sight, his words hurt me more than anything. He had told me that I was only his friend because he felt sorry for me, and that being my mate would ruin everything he had worked so hard to achieve. I later found out what that meant, he had been trying to court a chosen mate instead of his fated one for 2 years and it was working. Or at least it was before I came into the picture. River didn’t want me so yes the rejection hurt worse than anything. I had told River’s mom that I wouldn’t help them with anything for River’s wedding and I certainly wasn’t going to attend it.
     I watch as Maxwell’s eyes grow wide for a moment. He regains his composure quickly and reaches out towards me again.
     “Kalia, I’m sorry you had to endure so much pain in a short amount of time. I promise that if you give us a chance things will be different, I’m not going anywhere and I won’t reject you, ever,” Maxwell says.
     “I can’t, I’m sorry, I know you have this plan to marry your fated mate but I just can’t accept a life of royalty right now” I reply and I can tell I’ve hurt him pretty bad. The worst thing I could do is reject him but something inside me doesn’t have the heart to do it. I watch as the Prince turns and walks to the door.
     “If you ever change your mind you know where to find me” His voice is quiet and I feel a bit guilty but I keep my decision firm and refuse to chase after him. I start to clean up my bakery and head out into the village. I head to Courtney’s and right as I walk into the door I practically run into River.
     “Hey Kali,” River greets. I give him a glare and step around him. Since the rejection I’ve tried to avoid seeing and getting close to River. It’s not 100% possible to avoid him all the time but I do the best that I can.
     “You’ve got a lot of nerve to greet me like that” I say harshly.
     “Look I’m sorry but I just couldn’t be with you, I hope you can forgive me and come to my wedding. I’d love for you to see it,” River’s voice is light. I ignore him as he walks out of Courtney’s clothing shop and down the road.