Chapter 15

Max's P.O.V

  Kalia comes out of the bathroom after a while looking both restrengthened and worried. I walk over to her and cup her face in my hands.
     “What’s wrong baby?” I ask softly. She doesn’t say anything, just shakes her head. “I can’t help if I don’t know what’s wrong,” Kalia shakes her head again. It’s clear that whatever happened she doesn’t want to talk about it. So I mind-link the one person who might be able to help.
     Courtney? I ask through the mink-link.
     Yes, your highness? Courtney responds.
     Kalia’s troubled and she won’t talk to me about what happened, I say concernedly.
     I’m gonna kill him! River got to her Courtney replies.
     I thought he was engaged to someone else? I ask.
     She apparently found her mate, and chose him over River and now River wants Kalia back Courtney explains.
     I haven’t claimed her yet, nor have I really done anything short of healing her impairment, I reply.
     Claimed or not I know River, and he won’t stop until she’s his again Courntey sounds angry. I thank Courtney for the information and walk right over to Kalia. She’s sitting on the bed, head down. Her hair surrounds her face and I feel sad just looking at her. I sit beside her and pull her close, letting my actions speak for me. Kalia doesn’t move or speak. Whatever River said to her must’ve crushed her spirit and I’m not about to have that. Not under my care and under my watch.
     “Hey, why don’t we go explore the castle? Or rather I show you around,” I suggest and she nods. Her head lifts from its position and I lead her out into the hallway. I show her the dining room, the ballroom, the music room, the king's study, the library, and when we get to the throne room she’s talking again.
     “Oh wow! Max, this is amazing!” She says and practically dances through the throne room. I can’t help but laugh a bit as I watch her. She’s so cute and graceful.
     “I haven’t even shown you the best part,” I whisper when I’m close to her again. I lead her to a balcony just opposite the throne room. From the balcony we can see everything from the ocean horizon to the village. I watch Kalia look at the view, but when her eyes land on the village she gets depressed again.
     Feeling guilty I take her hand and take her away from the balcony. We head to the massive, and I mean massive, kitchen. I see Kalia’s eyes grow wide and just like in the throne room she dances around in circles. I see a look of pure wonder in her eyes again. She turns to me and smiles proudly and excitedly.
     “Could I maybe bake in here?” Her question doesn’t surprise me and I nod, I pull up a stool so I can watch and it’s in that moment when my mom, the queen, walks in.