Chapter 1

Kalia's P.O.V

     I don’t know why but at midnight I bailed. I ran. I left the Prince’s ball like a scene from Cinderella. Was it a bad move? Probably. It was probably a major offense to the prince but what was I supposed to do? I don’t live like he does! I don’t live how Cinderella did either but I still ran away. I wanted to be nothing more than a distant memory. I’m the village baker, not a princess. In fact I made the pastries and other desserts for the ball but I wasn’t formally invited to the ball. My cousin, Delilah, the countess of Naspa was invited though. She came for a visit and gave me her invitation because she was already marrying her mate from another country.
     I guess she thought I needed a distraction from the life of a commoner so I took the invitation, had the village tailor create the most elegant of dresses for me and attended the ball posing as my cousin. This is probably the reason I bolted but what I didn’t count on was my shoe. My shoe fell off my foot and I couldn’t turn back to get it so I took off the other shoe and ran into the forest. I didn’t bother running to my coach, I didn’t need him following me, I figured I could lose him in the woods.
     “Princess wait!” I hear the prince shout. He’d been calling me ‘princess’ all night and I can’t say I didn’t like it because I definitely did. I keep running, my dress flows behind me with the wind. I can hear the heavy footsteps of a horse’s hooves running after me. The prince continues to chase me through the woods. I thought he’d have given up by now but I suppose I was wrong. This is what I get for attending the ball. I continue to try and outrun the prince but I end up collapsing when I reach a clearing. A wall of rock stands tall in front of me, a beautiful waterfall flows from a river above into the pond below. I had collapsed by the pond, unable to run any longer, completely exhausted.
     “Princess?” I hear the prince ask as he dismounts from his horse. I’m on my hands and knees at this point, my breathing is heavy due to all the running, my gaze never leaves the ground.
     “Leave me alone” I manage to whisper. “You don’t want someone like me anyways.” My words are more than sincere but he ignores them and kneels beside me.
     “You are the only one I want, the only one I’m choosing, the only one who can make me feel the things I felt tonight” The prince tells me
     “How do you know?” I ask softly, tears starting to well in my eyes. I’ve always been able to get emotional easily and his words hit me like a ton of bricks.
     “Because, you’re my mate” He says calmly.