Of course, he did not lie. It would have been easier for me to stay angry had he lied, even a little, but his heart remained firm and steady under my hand.

"Well," I swallowed harshly, going to pull my hand back, but Sihtric did not let me, "you helped to save some Northumbrians, at least."

"That is all I wanted to do," Sihtric promised, "I wanted to keep you, our children, and our kingdom safe." 

I tried to move my head as he leaned to press his forehead to mine, but his free hand shot up, turning my chin so I was forced to let him melt my heart.

"You know I would do anything to keep you safe," Sihtric whispered, "I am your shield, am I not?"

"Even if it means breaking my heart?" I mumbled, raising my hand to rest it against his arm, "Even if it means going behind my back?"

"I will protect you until I no longer can," Sihtric told me firmly, "I do not care under what circumstances I have to do it as long as you are safe in the end."

I splayed my hand on his chest out of a fist, giving in at last, at leaning forward, my forehead resting against his chest. "Do not dare to ever go behind my back again. You could have died in battle had Saga not come."

"I would have found my way to you one way or another," Sihtric whispered, his arms wrapping around me entirely, pulling me into him.

I rested my cheek against his shoulder, looking up at him, "I have to go and speak with them now. I will not be kind."

"Edward has not been kind to us," Sihtric shot back easily, his arms tightening around me, "and Uhtred is forgiving of him. It is time for Northumbria to show her strength."

I was not proud to say my stomach fluttered at the annoyance in his words, "You will not loathe me for being cruel?"

"I would not loathe you if you killed me," Sihtric murmured, drawing back a little to place an open-mouthed kiss to my lips.

I rubbed my lips together as he drew back, "Then, let us go."

"Let us," Sihtric smiled gently, drawing away from me somewhat reluctantly, "I love you."

"Pretend we have not reconciled," I mumbled quietly as we approached the tent flaps, "I do not want Edward to think you have swayed me. I want you to show them nothing on your face."

"Anything you want," Sihtric smoothed out his expression, letting go of my hand last, still smiling.

"I love you too," I muttered as he was half out of the tent, my heart thumping gently before I followed after him slowly, the sun beaming down on my face as I stepped out.

Sihtric moved ahead, a ghost of a smile on his face that only I could see, heading back over to Kari and Rúna, who sat atop her, looking around nervously.

I looked down, smiling slowly at the sight before me.

Edward glared at me from the dirty ground he was crouched on, his hands bound and his nose bloodied. His only ally left on the field was Uhtred.

Saga and Henrick had rode in together with four hundred men split between them; they had cut down the rest of Edward's troops with ease, and Danes celebrated before the last of them had stopped breathing.