NINETEEN

"There'll be lots to do," Finan spoke happily, glancing back to us, "fishing, farming, rebuilding after the winter."

"What fun," Saga muttered dryly, eyeing the tall walls surrounding Coccham.

We had spent the night in the forest, about a metre away from all the Saxon soldiers and Uhtred, per Edward's request. He had told Uhtred that a punishment for our killings would come for us still. He just wished to discuss with his council first. The boy king did not like us, and he wanted us to know it; he didn't inspire faith in his skills, at least not to me.

But Uhtred was once again Lord of Coccham, having regained his favour with the Saxon people and the new king. Seeing as we had nowhere else to go, we joined Uhtred in Coccham despite Edward's threats.

"Not much of a farm hand, Saga?" Osferth asked softly, a teasing smile growing on his face.

Saga rolled her eyes, sighing heavily, "I have never farmed. I was always a warrior."

"Not even when you were young?" Osferth wondered, "Surely, you must have planted a few potatoes, at least?"

Saga snorted, "I was my father's only child, so I was a son in his eyes. He taught me how to chop wood, skin deer, and throw axes. He did not teach me how to farm."

I stared at her back, a pang of sympathy shooting through me. Saga understood how I felt; she had lost her father to battle too, except she had been much younger, and he had been all she ever had. Her mother had died in childbirth.

"Are you much of a farm hand, Lady?" Finan called back to me as we reached the gates.

I shrugged half-heartedly, "I've planted herbs?"

"They did not grow," Olav mumbled under his breath, feigning innocence when I shot him a small glare.

"We will find use for you elsewhere," Uhtred murmured, riding at the front of the line, leading us through the gate.

Henrick caught my eye from the side of the line, a question shining through them: would we be here for the spring?

Dunholm did not look like much of an option right now, while we were exhausted and grieving, but in a few weeks, our bloodthirst would grow. Perhaps I would turn my people to it then.

"Look," Saga barked out suddenly, her voice bright, "they are so happy to see us. They must be so weary after being away from a fight for so long."

Derya and Arya stood beside Hild, their tails slapping the ground, their mouth tilted in a way that made it seem at though they were smiling. I had missed them dearly.

"It is good to see you all back," Hild called out to us, "and just in time for supper and prayers."

I slid off my horse as the others did, letting Helios find his own way back to the stables before I made my way towards Hild.

"I would prefer if prayers were replaced with ale," Saga grinned at the abbess.

"Or a long bath," I groaned, raising my hand to my hair that still had specks of blood stuck in it in some places. 

Saxon soldiers did not value privacy. Thus, the river by the camp had been unavailable to Saga and I. A long bath sounded like the cure to all that had happened.

"Are you sure I can not convince you?" Hild pushed playfully, "We have cleaned the church."

"Try us again tomorrow," Henrick grumbled, walking past the abbess and leading us up to the main hall.

I offered Hild a small smile, rushing after my people as Uhtred stayed behind to talk to Hild a little while longer.

Servants scrambled around as we sat at the table, right at the end, my wolves sitting at our feet. Although we were safe, an unrest settled over my group, like they were anticipating something I was not aware of.