TWENTY-FIVE

"Rest," Sihtric mumbled quietly as I fought to keep my eyes open, the steady movements of the horse willing me to give into sleep.

I took in a deep breath, trying to wake myself, "No, I am fine. We need to stay alert."

We had crossed into Northumbria in the night, and now, we bordered Eoferwic, following the noses of the wolves, who seemed to grow more excited. Henrick was near.

"Your eyes close every few seconds," Sihtric teased softly, "you can not be alert when you have not slept."

I did not wish to remind him that I had not slept because a man had tried to suffocate me, so I settled on my weakest argument. "You have not slept either." I was jolted slightly as Sihtric shrugged, and I realised then that I was leaning on him entirely.

"I am a warrior, Lady," Sihtric mused, "I am used to not sleeping much."

I tried to straighten out as my bones and muscles ached together; my neck burned every time I moved it, and a bruise coated my cheek. May Daga be cursed.

Sihtric released his bridle from one hand, pressing it against my arm and pushing me back into him, "A few minutes of sleep will hurt no one."

My heart jolted despite how tired I was, and I flushed, "I do not wish to sleep."

But I did sleep. I fell in and out of slumber, my mind free from visions and dreams, my ears only picking up one heartbeat beat every time I woke and went back to sleep.

It was only when the sky had turned orange that I found the strength to wake up fully, my body soothed.

Sihtric said nothing as I sat up, and he waited until I had turned around to look at my wolves to roll his shoulder. 

"Where are we?" I asked quietly, watching as Saga and Finan rode at the front of the line with the wolves, talking lowly with each other. 

Uhtred was behind them, and Osferth lingered back with Olav and Helios.

"We have passed Eoferwic, Lady," Sihtric murmured, his chest vibrating as he spoke, "we ride along the River Swale."

I frowned, disappointment blooming through me, "The wolves did not find him in Eoferwic then."

Sihtric shook his head, "No, Lady, they did not. They stopped for some time to sniff the ground but eventually, they moved on."

"I am starting to fear we will never find him," I sighed heavily, shifting to drape my leg over the saddle so I was sat properly instead of laid across it.

"May the Gods guide us," Sihtric mumbled absent-mindedly.

I swallowed, considering his words. Freyja had given me her. She had let me see the fortress of Dunholm, she had informed me of Daga's plans. Perhaps she could give me some more information to lead us in the right direction. "Saga."

Saga paused at the front of the line, turning Sunchaser and leading her back to me, "Yes, Lady?"

"I would like to summon Freyja," I informed her, ignoring the way Sihtric stiffened behind me, "I need a draught but my satchel is with Helios."

Saga nodded curtly, the bags under her eyes dark and the whites of her eyes bloodshot. Guilt hung heavy around her. "I will retrieve one for you."

I nodded in thanks, raising my hand to comb my fingers through my hair, "Sihtric,"

The man hummed in response, urging Kari to slow as the other horses did.

"I may need you to hold me up a little longer," I smiled thinly, glancing back at him, "and I will need you to guard me the same way you did the first night we met."