Chapter 16/Part 36

Adler had put Bachman in charge of having the local authorities inform their victim's boyfriend while he had headed to forensics, hoping that Maxim—Willa rather, given she was the best tracker he knew—would find the missing fae.

Forensics smelled of chemicals, and Adler didn't really know any of the technicians too well. One of them who sat at the desk just outside the actual lab area was on the phone with another department and Adler paced in front of a cork board while he waited.

Two minutes later, all the technician could tell him was that they had found nothing unusual about the paper or the ink, but the handwriting looked like their graffito.

Back at his desk, Adler managed to confirm that the courier had been paid in cash. The delivery service had a rough time frame, which would allow Adler to pull CCTV form the surrounding area. He put in the request.

Once that was done, there was nothing immediate he could do for the case. He looked around at the other desks and the people busy with their own cases. No one was minding him. Plus, we are working together. It's not like this is just private.

Before he could reconsider, Adler pulled out his phone and called Gordon.

It rang for a while, long enough that Adler was about to hang up again. Just before he did, Gordon picked up.

"You have some timing. I was about to walk out the door. Or did Maxim call you?"

Adler bristled. "Maxim? Yeah. About the missing fae."

"Right. He told you about my corpse?"

Adler straightened. "You mean the fae he's looking for is dead? And you already took custody of the corpse? I didn't know you work that fast. Where's the scene?"

There was a pause. Adler cocked his head.

 Adler cocked his head

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.