(𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗹𝗲𝘀) 𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟭𝟳

Tris has been agitated since we changed rooms. We went from our floor to the top floor. I hope whoever broke in could be found so simply. What Tris didn't realize was that, while the burglar wasn't dumb enough to break in knowing there was a camera, he was able to disable all of the security cameras in the building, and I'm still wondering what he stole in my office.

He must have followed me home from work, but how does he know my room number?
This is more complicated than I expected, and it cannot be done by a teenager. They aren't sophisticated enough to turn off security cameras throughout an entire building.
I have so much to cope with, and I'm already fatigued. It's strange that I'm becoming fatigued so easily; my migraines have worsened, and I can't even sleep well at night.

I need to find out who broke into my office and house. Then, who kidnapped or set up Ally Wilson's case? And then try to interview everyone from high school again to see if I can get anything out of them.  

Then utilize Tris to extract the truth from Lucas, who is my primary suspect in fabricating all of this.
If he is her ex, and they did not end their relationship on good terms, then he is furious that she is happy without him.
I can't think straight.

Nothing makes sense anymore.
And now I detest myself for doing that thing to Tris hours ago; I shouldn't have laid hands on her. I shouldn't have kissed her. I shouldn't have touched her body.
I shouldn't have gotten her wet. I shouldn't have turned her on. I shouldn't have told her to leave when she needed to be touched.

I SHOULD NOT HAVE DECIDED TO SOLVE THIS CASE.

I was free to choose what I wanted to solve for the week, and I came across something about teenagers, high school, and so on.
My first thought was that it was some silly hoax, but everything changed when Mr. Ledger contacted me and requested that I look for anything that could prove that his darling daughter is innocent.

I shouldn't even trust Tris to be innocent.
I never know what's going through her thoughts.

I put both hands on my head; my brain was a fucking mess, and I couldn't think straight.
I couldn't—
I felt a shock of agony in the back of my skull and hurriedly took up my phone to call Sophia. Sophia had finished the investigation she was working on in Atlanta, and she might be free now if she isn't working with investigator Steve.

"Oh, it's you, hey Charles," she said.
"I need you right now, Soph. I sent you my room number, but I can't say it over the phone." I disconnected before she could respond.

My head was vibrating.
I hurriedly rose up and began searching the drawers for medication or something that could assist. I quickly left my office and went to my room, ignoring Tris, who was snuggled up on a blanket and eating in the living room.I took some pills and tried to sleep again, but even when I closed my eyes, I couldn't fall asleep. I haven't been able to sleep properly in a while, except for yesterday, when I fell asleep while watching a movie with Tris.

I awoke soon and rushed to the restroom to wash my face. I should not be thinking about anything that happened yesterday.

I went into the living room and saw Tris watching television.  

"Hey," I say gently. We haven't talked since we arrived, and she hasn't even looked in my direction. She ignored me again and continued to watch television.
"I just want to let you know we are leaving for Lucas House in 30 minutes so get ready."
"I'm already ready,"

I looked at her up and down. She was dressed in black shorts and a tight white crop top.
"I don't think you want to wear that to see your ex," I say.
"I'll wear whatever I want or... would you like to tell me how to dress now since you're above everyone else and you know the best?"
I couldn't help but smile. "Thanks for the compliment," I smirked and she rolled her eyes and returned her attention to the television.

"But whatever you do you, just wait 30 minutes; someone else will be following us."

I said this and then left her in the living room. I went to change my clothes and called Sophia to see if she was still coming, but she had already left a message. 

"Hey, sorry I can't make it; something came up, but I asked Ryle to assist you with the recording and other tasks, so Ryle will come meet you. Again, I apologize. I'm also sorry that I couldn't come when you called; is your migraine worsening? Maybe you could try seeing your doctor again once you've returned from the investigation at Lucas"

I was looking forward to Soph because she and I typically get things done quickly and she's a great partner, but I suppose Ryle may work as well.
Thankfully, she did not ask Arthur. He's a real pain in the ass.

Ryle and I never got along; we were constantly in the same meeting because he worked in my department, but we never spoke. He was a quiet person, and I had no intention of being the first to speak with him. 

I'm still not sure why Soph chose Ryle of all people, but he may have simply been the most available and eager to assist me.
I went into the living room and noticed Tris sitting and waiting for me. She pulled on a zip-up hoodie over her crop top. Thank God.

When she spotted me, she immediately stood up, and I grabbed the car keys before we both exited the room. Silently.
In the elevator, all we could hear was our breathing; it was too quiet and strange, but I ignored the uneasiness. We were on the top floor, so it took a while to reach the ground floor. I got out my phone and contacted Ryle; if he didn't tell me that he was outside, I might as well text him myself.

Me: Hi, are you outside?
Ryle: No, not yet.
Me: How long would it take you to get here? I have been waiting.
Ryle: Chill, I'm omw.
Me: Three more minutes, or I'll just go myself.
Ryle: Sophie stated you truly needed me, so I don't think you'll leave without me. *Laughing emoji* 

What is the fuck wrong with him? Thank goodness I never tried to communicate with him.
When the elevator door opened, Tris swiftly exited the elevator, and I followed her. We were in the parking lot and will now be waiting for Ryle.
I didn't intend to take my car because I specifically requested that Soph bring the FBI car. It's much better to work in, and while Tris is at Lucas, we'll record their talk for later inquiry. And I've instructed Sophia to obtain the earpiece that Tris and I would wear to communicate, and I'll tell her what to ask Lucas.

Soph had better notify Ryle to bring them.  

"Why are we just standing? Aren't you supposed to get your car?" Tris asked.
"I'm waiting for someone."
I checked my wristwatch again, and he was seven minutes late.

He finally arrived and drove the car towards me and Tris. He smiled at me, and I glared back.
"Geez, don't look at me like that; I wasn't that late," Ryle adds as he gets out of the front seat.
"Keys," I say, and he hands them to me.
I entered the front seat. Tris took the back seat, while Kyle sat in the passenger seat. 

The vehicle trip was quiet until we got on the highway; Lucas' house was quite distant from my apartment, so it would take some time to get there.
"Ryle, did you get the earpiece?" I said, as he jumped and looked around.
"Uh..."

"Don't fucking tell me you didn't get it." I said, in a high-pitched tone.
"Wait, I think it's in the back seat," he remarked, turning around to see where Tris was seated.
Before Kyle could say anything else, Tris gave him a black box.
"Yes, uh, thanks," he responded, turning to face me. "Everything we need is here."
"Good," I said with a low, flat voice. 

Ryle coughed anxiously, but I ignored him and increased my speed. I didn't have all day, and we needed to finish this quickly.
I peered in the rearview mirror, and Tris' eyes met mine. She immediately glanced away, but I couldn't keep my gaze away from her.
I could sense the tension between us even though we were silent, but I had to brush it off.

This was for work, so I shouldn't get too into it. 

                                                                     To be continued..﹔⇆﹔