Chapter-10

After my breakdown, I sat on the bed for hours until I fell asleep.
I have nothing to do because I don't have my phone, and I think it's driving me insane.
After some time, I rolled out of bed and went into the living room. It was deserted; he was most likely still asleep. I peeked out the window, trying to guess the time. It must have been eight in the morning.

I must have woken up rather early because I slept early last night. I've slept so much since yesterday; I should get something done today instead of squandering my and Charles' time.
I cannot go another day without my phone. I strolled along the corridor, inspecting everything; there was my room, another room that was most likely Charles' room, and finally the office.
Then there were the living room and dining area, which were attached to the kitchen.
How can he be living alone in this large apartment?

I took a brief shower and returned to the dining room; it was 9:30 a.m. and he still hadn't awoken.
There was a laptop on the dining table. I spotted it when I woke up, but I made a point of avoiding it. But now my inquisitive side wants to browse through it. I looked through the corridor and didn't hear anyone walking by. I looked at the ceiling and saw no security cameras. I need to be quick about it. I reminded myself. 

I opened the laptop, but there was obviously a password. I couldn't acquire it, of course.
What am I even looking for? When I heard the sound of someone turning on a light, I panicked and shut off the laptop. I got up, walked to the living room, and sat on the sofa. I hope he doesn't know I was looking through his laptop. After hearing footsteps, I lay down on one side of the chair and waited for him to arrive. The door opened, and I could see him leaving the corridor. I swallowed hard when I saw him dressed in all black. Black suit was specifically made for him.

I could smell his cologne as soon as he entered the living area. "Morning," I say, trying not to smile, knowing he will merely scowl at me. "Why'd you wake up so late, its like 10 am" Even though it wasn't my business, he should have gotten up early as a detective. I only had the impression that he had awoken but had only recently left his room. He ignored me and walked right to the kitchen. Ouch.
He returned, carrying a protein smoothie and picking up the laptop.
"I'm leaving for an important meeting; stay here, okay?" He issued an order, and his tone was commanding. I got up from the couch and walked towards him.
"Where are you going?" I questioned him, peering at him as he adjusted his wristwatch. How did this man get a different watch that matched his outfit? He really knows how to style.
"Like I said, I have an important meeting, so you must stay here an—" He cut himself off before continuing. "You know what?, Just come with me; I don't trust you to actually listen."
"Put on your shoes; we're leaving," he said in a stern tone, walking to the door.
"Wait—" I approach him and lock his gaze on me. "I need to dress up; I can't leave like this." I say this while gesturing to my body. I was only wearing shorts and an oversized t-shirt. Wherever he was going seemed fancy. So I can't afford to look silly in front of rich men.
 "I'm the one having a meeting here; don't let me reach there late."
"But—" I attempted to object, but he turned to face me and peered down at me. He looked at me so intently that I forgot I was attempting to speak. He was really tall, damn it.
"let's. Go." he said, his voice becoming rougher. I followed him out the door this time instead of arguing. 
I thought he'd be nicer after last night. But he didn't say anything about it or ask whether I was okay.
Well, that wasn't his role; he wasn't supposed to care about me. I was a criminal. But, maybe...I brushed aside whatever I was thinking.

.....................

After what felt like hours of driving, we arrived at our destination. He unbuckled his seatbelt and fled the vehicle. I followed behind him.

We didn't say anything to each other until we entered the police department. This place was larger than the one where I was arrested. We walked in, and the cool breeze sent goosebumps up my forearm. I held my forearms together as we walked in; I had no idea where we were going, so I just followed him till we entered the interrogation room, which looked just like the one I was in when I woke up the day after my party.

"Sit," he urged.
"I thought you had—"
"Tris, Do not let me repeat myself." I couldn't help but obey his commands. I sat in the steel chair without objecting. And then he turned around and left.
What in the fuck—?As soon as I realized the door was closed after hearing someone lock it, I hurried to open it and noticed Charles had vanished along the corridors. I could see him through the glass shield. THIS FUCKING ASSHOLE LOCKED ME HERE. Anger boiled up inside of me. Remaining at the apartment would have been preferable. My ass hurts too much to sit on the steel chair, and the ground is too hard for me. I cowered down in the corner, trying to figure out how to get out, but he had the key. I fucking hate Charles. I wish I had been paired with a more civilized detective. 
I haven't even been with him for a week and I'm already so fatigued. I miss my previous life terribly, even if I was heartbroken about Lucas. It still feels better than languishing in a gray room without food or a phone.
Oh my goodness, what did I do wrong to deserve all of this? 

That one I knew the answer to.

Tris.
I simply remember him calling me Tris. That was the only nickname I'd ever heard that matched my name perfectly and didn't make me shudder. My friends nicknamed me Birdie, which I have no idea how they came up with. My parents and brother call me Betty, which is nice yet clichéd. But Tris. I hate that I like the nickname he gave me.

Maybe I should start calling him Charlie, Char, or Chocho. That could irritate him.