Chapter 1 - First Day at Humes High School

Hey, y'all! This story was in the Elvis story poll, but it wasn't next on the list. I just felt like I needed to write this one next. And it's my second Elvis story that is pre-fame. I hope you all like it! Personally, I love a student-teacher romance story 😉

~ ~ ~

September 1, 1952

"Do you think that you can handle these rowdy bunch of teens, Miss Thatcher?"

I sat up as prim and properly as I could and straightened out any little crease in my grey pencil skirt that went passed my knees. I rose my chin confidently as I sat in front of the principal of this old high school as he had his hands clasped on his desk. "I am ready to start, Principal McNulty. I have been ready for this day since I first realized that I wanted to be a teacher when I was a little girl."

He smiled, producing crow's feet near his eyes. "Wonderful. I just worry that since you're closer to their age, it could be more difficult."

"Oh, to the contrary. I feel that I will be able to connect with them more since I am closer to their age. I admit that I wasn't expecting to work in a high school, and I would be teaching music to elementary school kids, or junior high school kids at the oldest, but I feel that this will be a good opportunity for me."

He nodded, and it made his gray hair shine from the morning light coming in through his office window. "I hope it is." He put his arm out. "Shall we meet your first class?"

"We shall."

I stood up and followed my boss out of his office and into the school's office area where there was a reception desk. There were three students there, one a boy, and he physically turned around and stared at me as Principal McNulty and I exited the office. I had to keep my head on straight. I was a single young woman with olive skin and dark-brown hair who would be a teacher to many handsome young men. My focus solely had to be teaching music to pliable minds, not handsome faces.

Class would start in five minutes, so kids were scurrying to class, and I had to dodge so many of them as they rushed passed, and their principal had to remind some of them not to run. Those particular kids looked younger, most likely new freshman.

Someone rushed passed me and knocked my shoulder. This tall young man turned as he was walking in the same direction we were going. "I beg your pardon ma'am. Excuse me."

He smirked and was off. Well... I tucked some little hairs behind my ear since my hair was up in a bun. That young man was a case in point to what I was referring to. I had to keep my head on straight. But, honestly, could a person have bluer eyes? I only saw a glimpse of them, but they were incredibly blue. And the southern drawl that I was new to... I discovered that it was more titillating than the British accent. Other women would disagree with that. I was very opinionated.

"This is the room right here," said my boss. "But you already know that."

"Yes, I visited the school last week and set up the classroom. I'm planning on having these students show me what they've got since they chose this elective class. Only the ones really interested in music choose to be in a music class willingly."

"I agree. After you."

He indicated the door, and I went on into a classroom of twenty students, accompanied by various instruments around the desks in the borders of the room. When I was here last week, I counted up the desks and positioned them so there were in a four-by-five set-up. I was very particular about organization. It was in the same in my last classroom back home... but those kids were half the ages of these ones.

Several of them saw me, and some guys smacked their buddies on the arm. I heard several comments regarding disbelief that I was the new music teacher. I ignored the look of interest in some of the guys' eyes. The class was about half-and-half when it came to the ratio of boys and girls.

Teacher's Pet [Elvis]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें