(Don't) Breathe (In The Air)

Entering the East Area, you and Leon are both shocked to see the state of it. While yes, you both had expected destruction, considering the undead roaming the stark, clinical, walls of the facility-- you would've never expected the gaping hole in the ceiling, and the rubble scattered over the floor. A pipe sprayed large amounts of mist into the area, creating an uncomfortably humid environment. The scratches scattered about the destruction gave created a pit at the bottom of your stomach, only made worse by the buzzing flies.

"Oh God, I hope those skinless things-- the lickers-- aren't around." You call out, akin to a horror movie character with zero sense of irony.

Leon hums, glancing at the devastation around you, sweat collecting on his brow. He thinks for a moment, whether he wants to soothe you, or be realistic.

He decides to do both.

"We'll just have to keep an eye out," he asserts, glancing over his shoulder back to you, a coy smirk tugging at his lips. "Besides, who's gonna mess with the police, right?" He muses, a playful lilt infected his voice as he spoke.

You simply stare at him, unblinking. Almost like he grew a second head. "Leon, we're talking about monsters here-- I don't think they'd care if you're a police officer," you note, in pure bewilderment. "They'd tear you-- us, really-- apart no matter what." You finish with furrowed brows.

He thinks for a moment, before turning his entire body to face you. He calls your name, a slight plea to his tone, though there was a boastful confidence cutting through the persuasive effort. "As long as you're by my side," he pauses to take hold of your hand. "Nothing will ever happen to you." He punctuates the sentiment with a firm squeeze of your hand. The warm leather of his glove only furthered the intensity of the physical contact, sending you reeling even further.

You do your best to conceal the flush rising to your cheeks, head spinning through a rolodex of excuses for it. Though, knowing Leon, nothing would truly get by him. All you can do is nod in return, too rose-faced to say much else. Your throat felt tight with embarrassment, though the exchange gave you a deep seated comfort like no other.

Of course, it didn't ease the red flush when Leon gave you a cheeky grin, softly cooing a simple: 'that's right' under his breath. You're not sure if you were even meant to hear it or not, but based on the look he shot you, you probably were.

"C'mon, that Senior Staff bracelet isn't going to find itself." He muses, smiling as if nothing happened just now. His hand still grips yours as he tugs you along, nearly toppling you over. His ability to move on and change the subject so rapidly will never cease to amaze you.

The East Area's Reception room, is much more in line with how you expected the lab to look. Lights are dimmed and flickering, with trash and random items scattered about. Though, you could tell that this area would've been nice to work in, as the desk space is incredibly roomy.

While Leon checks on the door to your left, you walk behind the desk, looking for any hints at where you could find a Senior Staff bracelet.

You curse under your breath as you come to the pained realization that the computer doesn't work, as both wiggling the mouse and turning on the tower and monitor did nothing.

There's nothing else of note, so you decide proceed forward while Leon checks another door, an air of caution surrounding you.

As the door slides open, you're greeted with a horrible sight.

An impossibly large plant is pressed up against the glass wall, with a web of cracks showing the harsh impact made by the plant when it made contact. Right in the center of the flora's maw was an employee in a hazmat suit. They were sandwiched up against the glass, completely unmoving.