Chapter 54

We heard the sound of screaming and yelling outside and then the sound of one single gunshot

We heard the sound of screaming and yelling outside and then the sound of one single gunshot. It had begun… More gunshots followed after that and I looked over at Anais. She looked over at me. “ Time to go.”

                      The sound of gunshots continued outside as we quickly got to the metal door near the front of the building. I looked at Kolson. “ Kolson, you stay by me and Anais.”

                       He just nodded and I quickly looked at the others and then I pushed the door open. I kept down as we started running out onto the street where the fighting was primarily happening. Anais and Kolson stuck close to me as we got closer towards the front gate. 

                     We stopped and hid in an alleyway behind an old brick building. I quickly peered my head around the corner and looked. I saw some of the shadows exchanging fire with some of the residents of Clinton and some bodies were already littering the street. Around 5 of them, mostly of the Shadows.  

                 “ What do you see?” Kolson asked as I looked back at them. 

       “ 5 bodies. No one we know though.” I carefully peered back out and looked over and I heard a lot of yelling and screaming as more gunshots rang out. 

                       I saw a few of the Shadows approaching close to where they were. I quickly grabbed my rifle and immediately pressed down on the trigger and started firing. I managed to hit one of them in the legs and they started opening fire. I pulled back around the wall and started to reload. “ Anais cover me.”

                     “ You got it.” She switched positions with me and she started opening fire with her Ak47 at the Shadows.  

                      I finished loading the rifle and moved back to Anais as she ducked behind the wall as more bullets soared and hit the brick wall.  “ I managed to get the one you shot in the leg and another one. There are still 2 left.”

                      “ I got them.” I quickly looked and saw both of them were reloading their guns and approaching towards where we were. I turned back behind the wall and pulled the trigger. The bullet entered one of their throats and she collapsed to the ground choking on her own blood.  The other guy started opening fire on me immediately. I quickly ducked down and fired the rifle again and managed to hit him in his leg. That caused him to collapse and grab his leg, yelling in agony. 

                    I dropped the rifle I was holding and pulled out my pistol. He looked up at me with a pleading look and tried to scoot away. “ Please! I'm sorry! Please!”

                      I pulled the trigger and the bullet entered his forehead and he collapsed to the ground, lifeless. I looked at the woman who I had shot in the throat. Her body was now lifeless. I pointed the barrel of my gun and pulled the trigger. The bullet pierced her skull.