Chapter 13: Me, And The Other One

As we settled into our seats, the arrangement was me, Lior, Kevin, Yura, and Hanna. Yura deliberately placed between Kevin and Hanna just in case they started arguing in the middle of the movie. Throughout the screening, we were all relatively calm, occasionally munching on popcorn and sipping our drinks. However, halfway through the film or during its climax, Lior, who was initially composed, began to cling onto me tightly, gripping my arm so hard. Meanwhile, Kevin occasionally shielded his face with his popcorn during jump scares to avoid seeing them.

"You said you were just a little scared, but it seems like it's more than a little," I chuckled, causing Lior to quickly release my arm and sit upright again.

"N-no, I'm brave! Those jump scares are just really startling, so it's reflexive. Sorry," he said.

We continued watching peacefully, though Lior and Kevin still reacted strongly to the jump scare scenes. Two hours flew by, and the movie ended. We got up from our seats and exited the theater.

"Well, that wasn't as scary as expected, right? Yura even slept through the whole thing," Hanna remarked.

"It's tough being related to demons," Kevin said, earning sharp glares from Hanna and Yura.

"Are you calling us demons? Ugh, you're the lame one here! Lame-o!" Yura mocked, followed by laughter from Hanna.

"Whatever, humans always give in," Kevin shrugged.

I just rolled my eyes lazily, checking the time; it was almost 6 o'clock. I glanced at my phone, and sure enough, there was a message from Asher.

___________________

(Private Chat)

Asher:

Who are you hanging out with? Mom said you went out to hang out with friends, anyway Dad and I just got home. Let me know when you want to come back; I'll pick you up. Curfew is at 8.

Seraphina:

Just friends. Same old crew - Hanna, Yura, Kevin, and Lior. Added new friends Lior this time; he's a friend from my psychology class. Yeah, I'll text you when I'm heading back, Ash. You're such a nagging big brother (¬_¬)

Asher:

Ugh, Dad's the one who set the curfew at 8.

___________________

I didn't respond to his last message and turned to my friends.

"Where are we going after this?" I asked.

"Hmm, i'm hungry. How about grabbing something to eat? There's a new café around here, I saw it on IG," Yura suggested.

"Hungry? What happened to the popcorn? Stuck in your throat or something?" Kevin retorted.

"Shut it, dude. Popcorn won't fill you up; it's just a snack. No wonder Hanna's annoyed," Yura replied, followed by Hanna's laughter.

"Oh, here we go again... Can we just go somewhere? Let's not argue for once; I'm hungry too," Lior pleaded with a pitiful look.

We searched for the café Yura mentioned, thankfully, it wasn't far. And luckily, the café was quite empty, so we easily found an empty table. After settling into our seats, we placed our orders.

"I'll have a latte and a vanilla cake," I said.

"I'll go for an americano, one cream cheese bagel, one cheesecake, two chocolate muffins, and oh, if they have BLT sandwiches, one of those too," Yura chirped cheerfully.