Chapter 9: Shadows in the Sunlight

After hearing Mrs. Smith's explanation, I understood quite well due to her captivating explanation.

One student raised their hand and said, "Mrs. Smith, how can that person improve? How do you persuade them?" Mrs. Smith turned to the student, whom I recall being named Clara.

"A great question, Clara. I didn't persuade the patient; they willingly decided to listen to my solutions and implement them in their life. In addition to consulting with the patient, I also consulted with their family. Initially, it was quite challenging because their family had very firm principles and even thought their child was possessed by a spirit or other supernatural forces," Mrs. Smith explained, Shrug her shoulders.

"However, have any of you heard the phrase 'There is no foundation as strong as a family that supports and understands each other'? Just like a house foundation that can crumble due to strong shocks, our mental health can be shaken by life's pressures and challenges. When the family foundation is fragile, its impact can be felt on mental health. Awareness of the importance of support and understanding within the family environment becomes the main foundation in maintaining our mental stability. A family that undermines this foundation can trigger a mental health crisis, and conversely, a family that builds a strong foundation can be a sturdy support in facing life's storms."

Mrs. Smith reached for her water bottle, taking a sip, undoubtedly feeling thirsty after speaking at length. After swallowing, she continued, "I explained that sentence to the patient's family, detailing the condition and solutions that could help the patient. Fortunately, the family eventually accepted and was willing to learn about their mistakes. Perhaps with the restoration of that foundation, the patient's confidence increased, so from the extensive consultations we had, that person finally wanted to be truly helped and resolve the issues. So, there you have it, dear students. We've come to this topic even though it started with a quote from Elisabeth Kübler-Ross. Always feel free to ask about anything related to psychology." Mrs. Smith concluded her statement with her sweet smile.

After a quite lengthy discussion, it was time for a break or lunch. The students tidied up their belongings before leaving the class, and I did the same.

Before exiting, I approached Mrs. Smith. "Mrs. Smith, thank you for today's explanation. I really enjoy this class, and I have no regrets taking this elective," I said.

Mrs. Smith chuckled and replied, "Oh, Seraphina, thank you for liking my class. Have you been more active lately? Well, you've always been an active student, but usually, you answer more than you ask. Thanks for making today's class enjoyable with your questions." She patted my shoulder before leaving the room.

As I stepped out, someone grabbed my hand, prompting me to turn around. "Uh, sorry... I held your hand. Let me introduce myself. I'm Lior. Lior Johnson. You're Seraphina, right?" said the guy who quickly released my hand – yes, the one from the class earlier.

I raised an eyebrow, looking surprised. "Yes, I'm Seraphina. Why? Do you need something?" I asked. He scratched the back of his head awkwardly before responding, "No, I just wanted to get to know you. Did I bother you? Sorry... I just noticed you lately, and I don't know, I just wanted to be friends with you. Is that not allowed?" he replied, with a warm smile, resembling a golden retriever puppy.

I stared at him with a puzzled expression. "Well, of course, we can be friends. There's no restriction preventing you from being friends with me either. Nice to meet you then," I said.

He immediately beamed with enthusiasm. "Really? Okay, then, I'd like to ask for your phone number. Can I? Since you agree to be my friend," he said, pulling out his phone from his pocket and offering it to me.

I nodded slowly, taking his phone to input my number before handing it back. "Thank you!" he exclaimed joyfully, for reasons unknown to me.

"Do you want to go to the cafeteria? I was planning to go there too. How about we go together?" he added. He was overly excited. Just looking at him made me feel drained, as if my social battery had suddenly hit low, but well, there's no harm in going with him, right? I nodded again, and then we left the classroom to head to the cafeteria.

Throughout our journey to the school cafeteria, Lior just wouldn't stop talking. We had just met, and yet he seemed so open. He shared so many things with such enthusiasm that, before reaching the cafeteria, it felt like he had covered more than five different topics. The distance to the cafeteria seemed longer with him around. I regretted accepting his friendship so easily.

Once we were at the cafeteria and had picked up our respective meals, I headed toward a table where my friends were already seated, and of course, he continued to tag along. As we sat at the table, my friends looked at Lior and me with surprise. "Uhhh... I didn't know you were bringing a new friend?" Hanna said, looking at me.

"What's your name?" Kevin asked, eyeing Lior.

"Calm down, calm down. He's a friend from the psychology class I'm taking. Lior, let me introduce you to my friends. This is Hanna," I pointed to the stylish girl with blonde hair and a baby pink beret—her favorite color.

"And this is Kevin," I continued, gesturing toward the laid-back guy in a navy classic t-shirt and black chinos.

"Finally, this is Yura," I pointed to the uniquely dressed girl with black hair, sporting an oversized shirt with polka dots or stripes, high-waisted shorts with folded details, and stylish thick-framed sunglasses.

They all nodded after I introduced each of their names. "Friends, meet Lior. Lior Johnson," I introduced Lior to my friends. Lior, with his blonde hair, was wearing a navy long-sleeved shirt and regular-fit jeans today.

Lior smiled warmly at them, even waving hands at my friends. "Nice to meet you all. You seem friendly! Could we possibly be friends?" he exclaimed.

My friends looked at me with an expression of bewilderment, and I just shrugged my shoulders. "Sure thing, bro. Besides, I've been feeling lonely as the only guy around here. Welcome to our gang of friends," Kevin said, overjoyed as he immediately embraced Lior. Lior seemed genuinely happy, and since Kevin often complained about being labeled as "effeminate" for hanging out only with us, this new addition made him ecstatic. In reality, Kevin could socialize with others; he just chose not to.

During lunch at the school cafeteria, we usually discussed school-related matters or the latest gossip (we had to stay updated on that), but now with Lior around, he just wouldn't stop talking. He shared so much, and the only one enthusiastically responding was Kevin.

The rest of us were a bit weary of Lior's hyperactivity. Well, at least now we didn't have to struggle to come up with topics now Lior in here. Since my friends and I met every day, we often ran out of things to talk about, and more often than not, we ended up sitting in silence, staring at our respective phones.