Chapter 46

-Quan Leung-

I left Kenji and Jade to mess up my kitchen for around an hour, knowing that Ruarc would take responsibility for that. They had been my colleagues for longer than they had been Ruarc's, but I had argued that he had the vampiric ability to go as fast as light, whilst I did not. If I were to clean their mess then it would take me the rest of the night, along with if I forced them to clean up after themselves. I almost felt like the babysitter in this case, despite them being Ruarc's, and Ruarc being mine.

Within that hour, I meditated, trying to develop my telepathic powers so that I could link myself to my mother, who was likely to be very weak at the moment. I felt terrible that I couldn't immediately link up to her, I would have to wait until later that night, I'd have to try incorporating some dream magic into the evening.

After that hour, I was surprisingly presented with a pizza, which was surprising because I didn't know that I had ingredients for pizza in my house, and because Jade and Kenji actually made something edible.

I tugged Ruarc up to my room after tea, doing my nighttime routine and laid down on the bed beside him. He was still wearing his proper clothes, which must be really uncomfortable, and laying on top of the covers as I lay underneath.

"Just in case something goes wrong," I told him in a whisper. I didn't really want Jade and Kenji to know what we were doing, because we hadn't really discussed what had happened and what our plans were in great detail. That would all be a task for tomorrow.

"What could go wrong?" Ruarc asked with a frown as he wrapped an arm around my shoulder. He hadn't had his blood yet, but he assured me that he'd have it before I woke up tomorrow morning. "You won't go into a coma, will you?"

"Is that your worst-case scenario?" I asked quietly with a small laugh as I closed my eyes. "Because it could honestly be much worse than that."

"Worse how?"

I didn't answer his question, just patting the bed beside me and let Clover and Rosie jump onto the bed, The two cats curled up together between Ruarc and I, which would've been an extremely good photo opportunity if I wasn't already settled.

I leaned my head on Ruarc's shoulder and sighed, letting my breath tickle his neck before I began focusing. "Just stay here please," I whispered quietly. I felt somewhat vulnerable right now, even more so than I had when I was injured and being carried by him. I didn't know what was going to happen through the night.

Ruarc kissed my forehead gently before reaching under the covers and interlocking our fingers. "I'm not going anywhere," he promised. I didn't know why exactly these romantic gestures were hitting my heart in a different way to what I'm used to, but I wasn't going to object.

I took a deep breath and relaxed my mind, trying to remove myself from the room and Ruarc's arms. I thought back to what little I knew of my mother. I remembered her appearance, but most importantly her presence. I remembered what it was like to be in the same room as her, her warm and soft aura which always seemed to calm me down, a tactic most love witches had.

When I found myself materialising, I felt none of that warmth. The room I was in was cold and dark. There was a person lying on the bed and someone hovering above them. The person above them was an angel, I didn't recognise him, but he had short blonde hair and seemed to be my mother's age.

"We'll get her back," the angel promised. He seemed to sense my presence as his shoulders tensed and his eyes moved away from my mother. "Who's there?" His voice was filled with anger.

The door opened behind me, and a demon stepped in, his black eyes immediately met mine and he growled. He didn't do anything, but I could feel the darkness radiating from him. "It's a witch," he growled. There was something familiar about this demon. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was as though I had met him before. "Kavi-"