Chapter 6

-Ruarc Brennan-

I messed up already. I sighed and ran a hand down my face. I listened to Quan moving from the staffroom to Candice's office, and then the conversation became muffled. Candice purposefully made her office soundproof, a fact which I was grateful for at first, and now it was extremely irritating.

Quan's footsteps were quick as he left the office, moving towards the entrance of the building.

I grabbed my bag and logged out of both our computers, then I followed. I didn't make it to the entrance before a voice called from behind me.

"What did you do?" Candice asked in a very neutral tone. I would've rather she shouted at me. Her voice was a mixture of disappointment and scolding. "Quan took one of his sick days, he hasn't done that since joining the police force."

Great, something else I'd need to look out for. I cleared my throat and turned to face her. She had her arms crossed and was tapping her foot impatiently. I felt like she was a teacher that had caught me skiving. "I didn't do anything," I told her. "Quan doesn't like the fact my job exists."

"Well, he's going to have to suck it up." Her chin rose even higher. "I thought that your personality would be enough to make him accept it."

I huffed a laugh. "My personality isn't one of my strong suits." I began to walk backwards. "I don't think anything would make him more comfortable with the arrangement."

"No, but your personality is his type. You are complete opposites." Her lips twitched into a smirk. "Opposites attract."

"That's magnets," I informed. "And please don't tell me this is some sort of cruel matchmaking game you have going on. I don't appreciate it, and I'm sure as hell that Quan wouldn't either."

Candice shook her head. "I still needed someone to look out for him. I'm not that cruel." She inhaled deeply, spun on her heels, and strutted down the hallway. "We'll see how it goes. Now, you have a job to return to."

I resisted the urge to groan in frustration, exiting the office and jogging to catch up with Quan. When I reached our street, Cappi was heading into Quan's house. The door was still open, causing me to hesitate. I could knock and tell them that it was open? That would be the most sensible idea. Or I could leave it and let them figure it out? That may be the option that would stop me from getting an earful from Quan.

I was only a few houses away from them, I'd be able to hear if anything went wrong. So, I entered my house and set my bag down in the passage. I kept my shoes on, just in case, and headed towards the fridge.

My stomach growled and the dryness of my throat made me swallow. I really had to go out tonight, but I didn't get a chance to tell Quan. I couldn't tell him now. I was already on extremely thin ice.

I'll just have to be quick. I hated lingering at vampire bars anyway. They were always full of ancient pricks who had nothing better to do than gamble and be sadistic. Vampire bars weren't just for vampires, but for everyone who knew vampires existed. Whether it'd be witches, werewolves, or humans. Some humans even donated their blood there and then. I didn't like that at all.

I stopped with my hand on the fridge door, knowing that the food inside would be of no use or pleasure if I consumed it. I glared into the mirror which stood in the middle of my living room. I don't know why Candice put that there, as it meant I couldn't invite any humans around. Not that I would want to invite any humans to this neighbourhood, from what I've heard, they'd get eaten or tricked into selling their soul or something.

My transparent blue reflection stared back at me. The scars that ran down my face almost looked like cracks in the glass. I ran my hand down my face, as though the lines and marks were just make-up that I could wipe away. I keep forgetting that they're there to be honest, but I always remembered whenever I was in a new place, surrounded by strangers who liked to stare.