Chapter 24

-Quan Leung-

I pulled on my hair in frustration. I was knackered. I couldn't believe that we were called into work at three in the morning, and then forced to sit through a full workday. I couldn't do as much as I usually could. My head was thumping, and my eyes stung. It was something which usually happened near the end of the day, but it was only one in the afternoon.

"Need some painkillers?" Ruarc asked out of the blue. We had been silent for around half an hour, just after lunch.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked with a small chuckle. I sounded weak and miserable, which was how I felt.

"Quan, you practically have your head in your hands, eyes screwed shut, and skin as pale as the wall behind you."

I hadn't realised that my hands slipped to cover my eyes before he had spoken. I felt like a bawling child, just without the noise and tears.

"Painkillers would be lovely, thank you." I slumped in my seat and covered my face with both my hands.

A few moments later, cold hands met my own. It was strange, as I didn't usually touch others without my gloves on. I got glimpses of a street, and the office, before one of them placed a cup in my hand, the other trying to remove my other hand from my face.

There were two pills in my hand a moment later.

"Thank you," I said again. They'd take a little while to be effective, and most painkillers only gave me minimal relief, but it would help.

"You know, I really think that you should work less." Ruarc must've sat on my desk, which he was very prone to doing, because his voice was so close.

"I can't just tell the entire city not to do crime because I'm not feeling great," I told him with a bitter laugh.

"Quan, you're hurting yourself." The truth in his words pierced me. I couldn't deny what he was saying. "You need to take more breaks."

My hands balled into fists. It was a bit of a sensitive topic, my work, but he wouldn't know that. My work, along with my magical condition, was a bit of a sensitive topic. Suggesting a simple break was innocent enough, and it was in my best interest. Yet, the very thought of taking time off the one thing I'm good at, makes me angry.

"I know, I'm very aware of the effects that I have on myself. I know it better than anyone." I inhaled deeply. "That's a topic for another day, month, year."

"Or now," Ruarc denied. "Talking about it in a year's time isn't going to stop your current suffering."'

I rubbed my hand over my face. "Ruarc, I'm okay. I'm going to be fine. It's nothing that I'm not used to."

"You shouldn't be used to it."

I ignored him as I tried to find something to distract myself with. That's a little difficult, considering there was nothing but darkness and the occasional spark of light which doesn't really exist.

"You're ignoring me," Ruarc stated.

"And failing, evidently." I sighed and shook my head. "My work is the only thing I'm good at, and it's the only way I can help others. Let's not take my current state as a constant result of what I do."

Even though it was nearly constant, I didn't want him to know that the pounding behind my eyes was as common as it actually was. I was hoping that my lack of communication would make him shut up, but I wasn't that lucky. I should be happy that he was talking, distracting himself, but when I was the subject of his worry, it didn't make me feel any inch of happiness.