Chapter 9

-Ruarc Brennan-

The room became chaotic, my first mission was to get Quan out of there as safely as possible. It didn't take me long to scoop him up in my arms and march towards the door, which I kicked open, being careful not to use sharp movements, and dropped him outside. I shut the door behind me as I re-entered the interrogation room and helped the vampire restrain Michael. Ito was in a small state of shock, he had five small cuts on his face, which would heal by the end of the day, and was shaking.

"Kenji, are you alright?" I asked over the shouting of Michael, who was simply yelling abuse at the poor boy.

Kenji nodded hesitantly before turning towards the window. "Candice is coming." He cleared his throat and creeped towards the door. "It's lucky to be on its hinges," he muttered.

My lips twitched a little as the door opened, hanging on by only one hinge now. "Brennan, we will be discussing this alter," Candice declared as she strutted into the room and folded her arms. "Michael Lockheart, you have been declared guilty of five accounts of murder. You will be facing trials in the upcoming days to decide your fate." She nodded towards Michael, indicating to the other guards to come forward and take him from my hands.

I moved around the people and left the room, checking up on Quan, who was leaning against the opposite wall with his arms crossed.

"You seem to like carrying me," he said bitterly. "Let's not make a habit of it."

I shook my head. "If it means that you're safe, I'll carry you anywhere." I cleared my throat and shook my head. "For my job, of course. I can't afford to lose that."

Quan sighed and started to walk away, before his footsteps paused and he turned to me. "Can you grab my cane?"

I clicked my tongue before turning back to the interrogation room, where I found Quan's cane propped up just by the doorframe.

"Your noble guide," I teased as I handed it to him. He wasn't wearing his gloves, which I suppose wasn't much of a priority for him after being attacked by a werewolf. I made sure that my hand didn't come into contact with his,

Quan took his cane without a word and headed towards his, our, office. I was extremely grateful that it was reaching lunchtime, so I would have the one interesting interaction of the day.

I tried to keep my distance, which meant that I hadn't even reached the office before he was leaving with his coat on. I debated about whether or not I actually needed a coat before shaking my head and following him a little closer. After witnessing someone being attacked mere inches away from Quan, I felt more of a need to protect him. The realisation that he was in danger had finally sunk in. He wasn't just in danger from people trying to abuse his powers, but also because of the job that he does.

"Your staring is making me uncomfortable," Quan stated as he sat in his regular seat by the window. He had already devoured the muffin that he had bought and was now sipping at a mug of black coffee. "I'm used to being stared at, but your stare is another level."

I blinked for the first time in about half an hour. I wished that I had the ability to blink whenever I needed to, instead of letting an uncomfortable layer of dust rest on my eyes.

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. "Sorry," I muttered. He had put his gloves back on as soon as he reached the front door of the police station and hadn't taken them off since. The thought about what he could potentially see had crossed my mind several times since last night, but it was more out of fear than interest.

"Out with it," he said. "What do you want to know?" He sounded hesitant, as though he couldn't quite predict what I was going to ask. The fact pleased me slightly. His job was to be clairvoyant and predict thoughts and events, despite me not witnessing that yet. It made me feel almost accomplished.