Chapter 28

-Quan Leung-

I didn't know what it was and that irritated the life out of me. That fuzzy, buzzing creature which looked like an orb of light had been the one to leave the note. But that frustration might not last long, I really should've asked more about the note.

"You think it was him?" Ruarc asked. I was unsure why he was being so vague about it; he had been slightly vaguely pointing in my father's direction since we came here. I didn't care that it was my father doing this, he was just another person to me, he was a complete stranger.

"You know who did it?" Sara asked hopefully, her expression brightened with hope. It hadn't taken me long to get the information from the curtain, which I knew was important.

"Yes, technically." I nodded my head and moved closer to them, as her bedroom was the size of two of my rooms put together. "Do you have the note?"

"It's on the vanity," Aubrey informed stiffly.

I spun on my heels, turning my back to the three of them. Cappi picked up the paper on the table and held it out to me, but the paper could only touch my fingertips for a second before disintegrating into ash.

"What did you do?" Aubrey exclaimed. "That was evidence."

I crouched down, ignoring them. Ruarc's shadow loomed over me as I investigated the pile of ashes.

"Lovely," I muttered sarcastically, rubbing the ashes between my fingers, which disintegrated even more. "You were right, it is a trap." I stood up quickly, causing Ruarc to stumble backwards. "Was it put against that door?" I nodded to the bedroom door. Asking was completely unnecessary, but talking always helped when it came to these situations, ensuring that we weren't kicked out of a potential crime scene.

"Yes," Sara answered.

"Quan, is that a good idea?" Ruarc asked. "After what happened to the note?"

I shrugged. "I didn't get this far without doing things that weren't really the best ideas." I knew that he meant well, but this was something I knew well, I knew how to do my job.

Ruarc nodded and stepped forward, so he was just behind me.

I sighed, feeling like everyone's eyes were on me, and touched the door.

There were only flashes of memories, which was unusual. The door was made of oak wood, which was probably why there were so many gaps in the memory, Sara might have had some unconscious influence.

The memories were blurred, but it was clearly Sara's room. I focused on one that happened most recently, which became even blurrier. Which was another peculiarity, they were usually a lot clearer the more recent they were. The mix of serene green was replaced by a blinding red and a searing pain shot through my hand.

I stumbled backwards into Ruarc, who wrapped an arm around my waist.

I couldn't help but gasp at the pain in my hand, this was strange, but familiar. I think that it was more because of the memory of the pain than the actual pain itself. It was the same pain which I experienced throughout my childhood, burns which would never heal.

"Why would he come here?" I asked myself.

"Who's he?" Aubrey asked, her voice harsh. "You need to tell us everything, because people on this street are being targeted. Who knows who's next?"

"I do," I snapped. "And it's nobody on this street."

Ruarc took a sharp breath. I felt the dread and panic sink into him. "You think that he was here?"

"He was here, or he was the one to make this note anyway. There's no way another person could've put this here. But he also meant for me to find it, nobody else, that I know of, would target me." I glanced to the bed, where the blurry figures of the girls were stationed. "I'm sorry that you are involved."