Chapter 5

-Quan Leung-

I could believe that Candice would modify my office overnight and I was not at all pleased about it. I couldn't complain to her, as it was a logical and sensible change. Yet, I itched for the argument which would occur if I did bring it up.

I ignored Ruarc as much as I could, in fear that I would take my anger and frustration out on him, more than I already was. I probably should've, that would probably make him stop talking to me and bothering me.

I wasn't quite sure why I disliked him so much. It was probably due to the fact that I was forced to know him, I was forced to be around him. I dislike being told what to do and being unable to make my own decisions. But there must be something else, something I don't know about yet.

I had a pretty good sense of intuition. I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with magic, or if it was something natural. I shook my head, magic would be considered natural too, to most people anyway. I was one of the very few who saw magic as something unnatural. Even some humans had tried to practice magic, a different kind, but magick is still magic. You still had to pull on the laws of nature and intentions for both.

I wasn't doing any work; I didn't realise the fact until my computer's screen turned dark. I had to get on with answering some emails, which I don't tend to have the patience to do during the day. I wasn't a fan of everyone in the office being able to hear my emails.

It was nearing lunchtime when Jade burst through the door. The smell of her lavender body spray and the screech of her voice broke me out of the deep concentration I had directed towards the two letters. I had been trying to find any similarities. They had both been created by a typewriter, seemingly created by the same masculine shadow. Yet somehow they always seemed to conceal their identity.

"Quan, are you listening to me?" Jade's voice brought my attention back to her.

"Not in the slightest," I responded before shaking my head. "Sorry, I was concentrating there."

"An apology?" Ruarc said with sarcastic shock. "Why, Jade, you surely are an angel."

I sent him a glare, assuming that he was still in his desk. Whilst I was working, I was faintly aware of the clicking of his mouse.

"Yes, yes. I'm a wonderful influence, I even warmed Quan's ice-cold heart. Now, move it." She moved around my desk and started to pull on my arm, which was covered by a thick white button-up shirt.

I hurriedly grasped my gloves, only managing to keep one in my hand as I was forced to my feet and out of the door. "Why?" I demanded. She was fully aware that I did not like being touched.

"If you listened to me earlier, you'd know why," was her snarky response.

Ruarc snorted a laugh as he strolled behind us. I couldn't send him a glare, as I was trying to figure out where I was within the facility.

"Did you at least grab my cane?" I asked. She had basically just thrown someone who couldn't swim into the deep end of the pool.

"I did," Ruarc answered. "Thought you might need it. It might make my job a little easier."

I bit my tongue. He was the one who hinted at, and complained about, his job being too boring.

"Took you long enough," William grumbled.

"Is this even in your job description?" I snapped at him. It wasn't. He usually documented cases and collaborated with Jade. He didn't like to get his hands dirty.

"Who reads the job description anymore?" Jade asked, still with a hand on my arm. "Everything we do here isn't in the job description."

She wasn't wrong. Candice had done that on purpose. She always had a certain way of reading people, seeing what troubles they had, and where their talents lie. Most of our staff were people who couldn't afford to lose jobs or had some sort of ability which made them too valuable to pass up. The job descriptions were simple, and the application process was unremarkable. The interview is when the interesting matters occurred.