Chapter 16

-Ruarc Brennan-

I was dealing with three children, that was my only summary after we spent fifteen minutes walking to where I last sensed Quan. We were only a few streets away from the police station, which I could tell made Aubrey and Sara uncomfortable.

"Are you sure it was here?" Sara asked for the thirteenth time. "I can't get a lot here."

I nodded my head and crossed my arms. "It was exactly here. I could show you our office if I have to." I probably looked like a big child myself, but at least I didn't argue and yell like Fewesi and Cappi had been doing. I felt sorry for pulling Fewesi away from her sleep, but she insisted that she wanted to make sure Quan was safe.

"I don't know if there's anything you could do in there," I admitted. Nature witches relied on natural things, such as plants, in order to learn things from the environment. Sara had once described it as though she had a strong intuitive feeling, which is why nature witches needed to study, or the feelings could be misinterpreted. Sara's teacher moved away a month after I moved onto the street, but he was a very kind gentleman. Sara's parents had no interest in nature magic, and thus entrusted the man with tutoring her.

"You'd be surprised what I can do," Sara stated and lifted her chin. "I'm assuming there's paper in your office, that could help. I'm sure there's wooden desks in there too." She counted on her fingers as she listed the natural materials that were used in the office.

"Alright," I said with defeat. "I'll take you." I spun on my heels to look at Aubrey, Fewesi, and Cappi. "No arguing, no running, and no creeping out those who work there."

Cappi huffed. "So, no fun it is."

I nodded and waited for the others to agree. When they did, I led the way to my office building, with a shrinking ball of hope in my chest.

We didn't make it to the office, instead Sara stopped halfway there and knelt on the ground. I couldn't tell what had caught her attention, as I was standing just behind her.

"What is she-?" I began to ask, but was roughly elbowed in the ribs by Aubrey, who glared at me.

"She's doing what you asked her to, dumbo." Aubrey huffed and pulled on my arm.

On the ground was a very lonely, and half-dead, dandelion. It barely had any of its petals, which I doubted were actually called petals, still intact. It was dropping and looked as sad as I felt.

"Can she really get loads of information from such a sick plant?" Cappi asked. Their voice was filled with that child-like innocence that I was annoyed by and so jealous of.

I moved to correct them about the plant dying, and not really being sick, but I didn't have the heart. I didn't really know what to do with myself as I stood awkwardly beside her, catching the eyes of those who passed and gave us strange looks. Some of them must have known about the supernatural, as they didn't even look at us twice.

"Ruarc," Sara said suddenly, startling me away from my thoughts. "You have to find him, now."

My heart began to beat quicker, which wasn't a good thing for vampires. "What's wrong?" I asked frantically. "What did you see? Or hear, whatever?" I hated the fact that I was becoming this frantic over a man I had met about a week ago. I was getting so worried about a man who hated my guts.

"Ruarc, now. You've got to find him," Sara continued. "It doesn't matter what I saw, but you have to hurry." She reached up and placed a finger between my brows.

"Sar, what are you doing?" Aubrey asked, unidentifiable emotions filling her expression.

"Follow your instincts, we'll go with you. But we're not going to get involved in the real danger." Sara's hands were shaking. It could've been from the cold, but I assumed it was because of nerves, which wasn't a good sign.