The Usurper

After the topic of the elder dragons was finished, with Tiamat, Tannin, and Ddraig opting to take the fight to them, the Blaze Meteor Dragon approached Ddraig privately to discuss a different matter.

"There was something else I wanted to talk to you about Ddraig." Tannin spoke.

"What is it?" He asked, keeping a close eye on Tiamat.

Tannin rolled his eyes. "The elder dragons are not our only problems right now. It seems that the Christian faction are also making moves."

That got Ddraig's attention. "Why?" He demanded.

"It's not because of Xeno'jiiva, Ddraig." Tannin began. "For some reason, the fallen and devils have decided to attack heaven directly. As of right now, it's still nothing more than small skirmishes. But their aggression has been noticed and it's only a matter of time at this point..."

"Until all out war breaks out." Ddraig finished with a sigh. "That will just makes things more chaotic than it's already becoming." He groaned.

"That's why we need to work together." Tannin spoke. "Tiamat and I have already formed an alliance. I'm sure she wouldn't mind working with you as well."

The red dragon scoffed. "No, she definitely would. I lost Dragon's Bane, you know. It's not like I can just get it back."

"Then just give her something else. It's not like you don't have your own horde of weapons."

"And admit I lost it? Please."

Tannin could only sigh. "Is that really what you're worried about right now? Pride? Your son is in danger and war knocks on the world's doorsteps. Are you sure you don't want her help to protect him?"

Ddraig shook his head. "You think too lightly of Xeno'jiiva, old friend. He's my son. He doesn't need her or your protection. And in a few years, he won't even need mine."

The certainty in Ddraig's voice made Tannin believe him. "... I overstepped. My apologies."

"Don't worry about it. It's about time I got this over with."

While it's true that he doesn't need Tiamat's, or even Tannin's help, Ddraig still doesn't need Tiamat's hatred in all this. He has enough to worry about. That's why...

"Tiamat, I lost your treasure."

The celestial blue dragon maintained her composure, but her aura surged. "... Since the beginning? This whole time?"

"Yes. About two months after you loaned it to me, Dragon's Bane disappeared from my treasury. And I haven't been able to find it since."

"Why didn't you tell me? Why let me chase you all this time?" Her tail rattled.

Ddraig swallowed. "... Because I didn't want you to know that I lost it. My pride wouldn't allow it. But that doesn't matter now. Until my promise is fulfilled, none of that matters. So, here."

Waving his massive claw, Ddraig summoned a red great sword, easily 6 feet long. "This is a blade made from my father's scales, crafted by the dwarfs of the dying star, and gifted to me. And now, gifted it you. Take it. It's yours."

Tiamat stood dumbfounded. Just what happened to Ddraig? This wasn't like him. But... she liked this change.

Gently grabbing the blade in her claw, she inspected it with the utmost care. She could hardly believe what she was holding. And glanced at Ddraig, "Are you really fine with giving this in exchange?" He surely had something else less... personal, after all.

"I am. Just take good care of it."

She would. "Then, I accept this trade. You have repaid me in full, Y Ddraig Goch. Until we meet again." And without further ado, teleported away.

For a few moments, silence reigned. Until Tannin processed what just happened. "I'll be leaving too, Ddraig. I'll keep you informed on the Elder Dragons and Christians. But I can't promise you anything."

"I know." Ddraig concluded as Tannin left.

"... You have interesting friends." Xeno remarked.

Ddraig chuckled. "I guess I do." He conceded, reopening the red portal.

"Are you ready?" The red dragon asked.

From here on out, Xeno'jivva life will become hunting and eating. They no longer have time for anything else. There will be triump and loss, Ddraig doesn't expect him to win every battle. But he does expect him to preserve. As any real dragon would.

Xeno understood this. Every battle he's fought until now has been within his limits but now he must fight even stronger foes, using everything he has, or he won't get stronger fast enough. That is the reality they must face... because Ddraig can't beat every elder dragon. And he won't alwasy be around.

Xeno'jiiva must fight for himself. Or ultimatley die. That is his new world.

"Yes, sir."

"Are you scared?"

He nodded.

"Good. Let's get started."

-_-

From then on, Xeno fought and ate monsters three times a day, every meal a day, for an entire year. Hunting down every last one of the creatrues in the forest. Sometimes winning, sometimes losing. And often running away.

Each day he would come back with new scars, new inspiration. He learned and adapted. Fighting fights in ways he never thought of before. Using each monster against the other to come out on top. Defeating creatures that should have been beyond him with sheer stratgy and skill alone.

Climbing to the top of the food chain until only one monster remained. A brute wyvern, resembling a Tyrannosaurus, that is the closest thing to a real dragon in this forest. Belligerent and vicious, it is Xeno's final target in this domain.

But, Xeno has fought it before and lost. Multiple times. This beast has given him many scars and plenty of humilation... But, that ends today.

Tearing and gnawing away at a Great Jagras, the Anjanath of Xeno's hatred suddenly looked up from it's meal. Spotting the bright blue figure in the sky that didn't even bother to hide itself. It recongized him and growed. Preparing for the approcing battle.

But as Xeno'jiiva neared, he didn't attack him. He merely circled around the T-Rex that would crush most dragons... and left. Perplexed, the Anjanath's focus remained on where Xeno went for too long. And only noticed at the last minute that there was something that followed him.

Giving it no time to react as the Rathian slammed into it. Immediently stabbing her tail into the Anjanath. Who roared in pain and fury, being forced to the ground from the impact. But not wasting a moment to try and bite the winged lizard's head off. Forcing her to jump back.

And allowing Anjanath to stand up. The flame sac in it's mouth already ignited. While the Rathian took a defensive posture. Roaring, the belligerent beast ran at her without a second thought. Only to be blindsided by a blue ray that hit it from the side, charring its scales and even pushing it back some.

Standing on his perch, Xeno smirked at Anjanath's rage.

This is his new fighting style, honed over the last year. That uses anything and everything at his dispoasal to win. Including others, especially others. Until he is the last man standing.

The strongest.