Chapter 20 - Leather jacket

◌ ◌ ◌

* chapter music *- I Miss You So -Nat King Cole Trio

* chapter music *
- I Miss You So -
Nat King Cole Trio

_____________________________

◌ ◌ ◌

Elvis POV

The 23rd of August, 1957

Gates had opened, and gates had been locked. Waves of hands had been given, and waves had been received, rolling by and into the roam of Graceland. Greener late summer grass than usual met us after the past rain. The rattling leaves of trees in the wild of the coming Autumn took us, as the windows had been rolled down an inch to help Sal with her shaky feeling. As the feelings passed, Sal fell asleep, and by now, awake, the sudden grey sky had made her cool down a little too much. I could spot her prickly forearms as her cardigan had been rolled up. She held her head high, gazing out at our home.

In my lap, my leather jacket rested. The press had gotten their pictures of us dressed up in the image they had wanted, but as the sight of Graceland towered beside us with its stones, green windows, and lush gardens, we were free to let our shoulders go. No pun intended with Sal's shoulders being dislocated.

I preferred driving myself, both not to bother others and for myself, but I appreciated getting the chance to rest after the past days I'd had and getting to look out for Sal in the backseat. We came to a halt the following moment, though, and I was the first one out. Calmly, I parted my lips as I bent to look at Sal in her seat, trying to get out by herself with her immobile arms. «Honey, I'm only gonna say this once—sit still.» Carrying my voice was the feeling of taking control, with the attention of thinking of what was best for her. I didn't mean for it to sound like I could order her around, though. «That is a kind and a little pushy suggestion,» I added firmly, as my lips fell flat, nervously feeling like I had to explain myself.

Sal looked at me with a warm smile in comparison to her shivers. «Okay, Captain.»

Silently chuckling, I tried to hold my tongue. Standing up, I shut my door and walked around the car with a thankful wave to my driver, who was hired for the day. Nearing Sal's door, I opened it as easily as nothing, while a few moments ago, I'd seen Sal trying to open it as if it was the world's most impossible jar of jam.

In the palm of my hand, my jacket swayed. Meanwhile, my other took Sal's hand and helped her to her feet. Confined by the door and me, I gently held onto her and pulled her out of the door's reach as it shut.

Sal's blue traveled along the surroundings, making up Graceland, with her soaring journey landing on the house. I watched as her eyes filled with what looked to be the same feelings I had for this place. My chest grew as my tracing gaze watched her curls sway. Her cheeks were both bleak and red from coldness and from just being here. Her whole being was affected. Mirroring her look, I found the eight windows making up the front side of the house, remembering how I saw my entire life in this house, the moment it was mine—with all that entailed.