Chapter 3 - Now, though

◌ ◌ ◌

* chapter music *— It Hurts Me — From the '68 comeback specialElvis Presley

* chapter music *
— It Hurts Me —
From the '68 comeback special
Elvis Presley

Found on Spotify under the name:
splice/edit of part 1 - take 7, part 2 - take 7 & part 1 - take 6 -

Found on Elvis Presley's YouTube channel:
Elvis Presley - It Hurts Me ('68 comeback special)
Elvis Presley

_____________________________

◌ ◌ ◌

Rosalie POV

The 19th of August, 1957.

Like a tickling feather, the slight ripple of the still lake hit by a breeze flowed upon my bare feet in the cooled-down sand from a mid to late August night.

Gravity made the drops of water run down my bare thighs and scar after my swim, preparing to meet my yellow bathing suit.

Green and blue, the trees and sky flickered over the lake's surface by the Summer Mansion. I could spot a little skittish fish swimming near the shore. Visions of legs with folded-up pants took over, wading through the very same shore. But with just one blink of an eye, it was gone.

As I rested my chin on my knee, my eyes caught the reflection of the rundown pier—still just as grey.

Last New Year's Eve, my mom had talked to a crowd of my dad's colleagues' wives. In conversion, it had been stated that the project of 1957 was getting the old garage in shape. However, my dad had not been that present at work after he learned what really happened that night on the very last day of last year.

Wendell, the son of one of his close colleagues, had made it difficult to show up to work without getting angry. Both Wendell and his dad worked at the Town Hall, but even though my dad didn't see Wendell, it was hard knowing the boy worked under the same roof as him. At every official meeting, there had been words thrown back and forth between the two fathers, putting a strain on everyone.

My dad got permission to work less. At first, it was so he could learn how to cope with both of them being there, but then it turned into my dad wanting to find work elsewhere. He hadn't found a better position. So these days, he had gone back to working full time. It had all resulted in less to get by, and the mansion was not the first priority. It wasn't like we had to sell the place, but it was enough to decide to clean up the garage we already had instead of tearing the whole thing down and building a new one.

Of course, my dad never wanted to worry me, so the one that opened up was my mom. I had no idea this had been going on since I left for Graceland back in May. The guilt I felt was immense, even though I could not have done anything to stop it from happening. It was Wendell's doing and the policy of The Town Hall that didn't pull through. There weren't any laws against domestic violence. If his father had stayed and they could have fired Wendell, it would have lessened the conflict—at least, I thought so.