Chapter 2

Vivien

©

My eyes slowly started to open just as the sun began to rise and illuminate the entire room. I woke up quite quickly, because I did not like to lie in bed for a long time, considering it a waste of time. Getting out of bed, I headed to the bathroom where I quickly started to get ready. Today, I have a workout at the gym, and a few more things to do in my father's office, where I was supposed to oversee a new development project in Puerto Rico. It was a collaboration with the Lockwood family. We invested in it together.

Construction was just about to begin. It was supposed to be a luxurious hotel on the coast, with large bright rooms, a restaurant and its own private beach, and several private villas were to be built for high-ranking officials. Quickly getting ready, I took my sports bag and left the house. Today, I was without security, although my father insisted that Alex accompany me everywhere. Nevertheless, I persuaded my father to have security only at meetings or important events. I love freedom and my own space, and I do not like when someone follows me. I can take care of myself. I do not need security 24/7.

Going down to the parking lot, I peered at the cars around me as I was looking for my favorite car. For everyday life, I chose ordinary cars that would not be conspicuous. Here she stands and winks at her owner, a brand new BMW X5 2022, black, with tinted windows, is waiting for me. I quickly got behind the wheel and started it. Pressing the gas pedal, the car began to pick up speed in a second. I enjoyed the speed; I liked the feel of the leather in the cabin and the smell of a new car.

When I arrived at my father's office, I looked at my watch. It was almost eight in the morning; which meant that working hours had already begun. I take the elevator to the office and headed through the hall to my office, greeting the employees along the way. Entering the office, I sit in a chair and press the button on my phone at the table:

"Stephanie, I hope that you are already at work and will quickly come to my office with new drawings."

"Miss Walker, three minutes and I'll be with you," said the girl on the other side.

Stephanie was my assistant, and she was the daughter of Lucas, father's assistant and advisor. It was easy for me to work with her because I did not have to hide anything. I felt comfortable with Stephanie; she was a sweet girl who tried to become not just my assistant but also my friend. I had no friends except my dead sister. It is hard for me to let people get close to me, because they could become potential targets for enemies. It is better to be alone.

From time to time, I helped Stephanie, because I know that she has no friends like me. She is close to me. I even started taking her with me to training, because she was also the daughter of a mafia man and should be able to stand up for herself. I want to admit that I consider her my friend, although I do not admit it out loud.

"Good morning Miss Walker. I brought new drawings, as well as documents that you should look at, these are from the IT department, they say that this is very important and you should see it"

Stephanie was a beautiful girl, tall and blond with ocean blue eyes. We had known each other all our lives, but Stephanie never allowed me or Maria to be addressed by our first names.

"Stephanie, you know that you're going to practice with me today, so get ready and after work we'll go together," I said, looking at the papers and drawings on my desk.

"Yes, yes, okay Miss Walker, and one more thing, Mr. Lockwood called you and asked you to call him back."

"Lockwood? Which one?"

"His son, Josh Lockwood."

I was a little surprised, because I didn't expect to meet with Josh so quickly, but I still made a note to call him back.