Chapter 23: Chapter Twenty-three

Start from the beginning

"Where are the fireplaces?" Harry whispered and the spirit paused.

"Parlour, main bedroom and kitchen," Riddle answered.

"Parlour first," Harry commented. "Which way?"

Riddle sneered down at him before pointing to his left and Harry had the feeling that he'd stretched the spirit's tolerance of him as far as it would go. Which was further than he'd thought it would go. Harry just nodded and headed the way that the spirit had pointed.

Suddenly a Death Eater ran around the corner before him and Harry fired off a spell before the man could react and he dropped to the ground without a sound. Harry flattened himself to the wall as another man rounded the corner. The man looked down at his fellow colleague in confusion and Harry easily took him out. Harry cursed as he heard shouting from before him and ducked into one of the bedrooms. He dashed over to the window and pulled it open.

He swung out and into the garden below. The Aurors were attacking from all sides as Harry ducked and ran two windows down before peering in. He tapped the window frame which spung open and he wiggled through into the empty room. He'd lost Riddle's spirit or most likely the ghost had lost him. He didn't much care either way since the magic would run out and the ghost would fade away once more. He had more important things to focus on.

Harry ran across the room on silent feet and smashed through the door with a quick spell. He fired two spells at the backs of the Death Eaters that were too busy arguing about who would head down the hallway. They dropped without a sound and Harry continued on his way. He was sure that these men and women, that he faced now, hadn't been in a raid before. Which gave Harry the greater advantage but this wasn't a time to get cocky and he kept his eye out for traps. He made it to a large double door and peered through the slight gap then grinned.

Nagini lay before a large fireplace with four Death Eaters on guard around the room. Harry couched down and gently eased the door open a little more without drawing attention.

"Do you think they will save you?" Harry hissed in Parseltongue.

The snake's head instantly raised up and the Death Eaters jumped to attention. Nagini uncurled as her head cocked to the side at his words.

"Do you think that Voldemort has any affection for you?" Harry whispered and the snake flicked her tongue out.

"What would you know, Man-that-Smells-Like-Death?" The snake replied.

"That Voldemort only cares for the part of his soul that resides in you," Harry answered.

Nagini pulled herself up as Harry pushed on the door before ducking back. Spells hit the wall across from him. He let the Death Eaters cast spell after spell as he crept down the side of the wall and couched down. The spells died down and Harry smirked as the men inside the room debated about what they were going to do next. Harry stood, turned and blew the wall apart before him in a controlled bust of power. He ran back down the hallway and through the door as he pulled up a shield before him. One Death Eater was down as the others had taken cover. Harry threw a stunner at the one on the floor, just in case, as he dived for cover behind a lounge chair.

He cursed when Nagini slammed into the lounge and his shield took the brunt of the attack. He gritted his teeth as he spun to the side while he cast a stunner at one of the Death Eaters. He gained his feet then quickly jumped to the side as Nagini lunged at him. The snake twisted to the side and Harry threw out a spell to freeze her. The spell passed over her scales and Harry dropped to the ground and rolled to the side. The speed of the snake surprised him.

xXx

Suddenly a bright light lit up the sky from the battlements of the castle and the Aurors scattered as a blast hit the ground. Earth ripped itself up before the Aurors returned fire. Spells lit the sky as the ground crew held off the Death Eaters in the manor. Kingsley had to hold himself back from adding to the display as the others shifted around him. Screams and cries sounded out breaking the silence before with a roar the Dark Mark threw itself forward into the sky. An Eerie green glow overcame the grounds as the hair raised itself on the back of his neck and a chill ran down his spine.