Chapter β

Beta - 2
§

Armed Teaching

  (y/n) didn't know what kind of monster Dr. Thorn was, but he was fast.

  Sorry, did I mention that he had gotten himself kidnapped? Because that happened. Nico walked up to him while he was sitting down on the bleachers and asked about his dog, then Dr. Thorn pulled them all away, with (y/n) along, probably thinking the boy was mortal since he had no scent.

  Maybe he could defend himself if he could get Cyrus's shield activated. All that it would take was a touch of the necklace. But defending the di Angelo kids was another matter. He needed help, and there was only one way he could think to get it.

  He closed his eyes.

  "What are you doing, brat?" hissed Dr. Thorn. "Keep moving!"

  (y/n) opened his eyes and kept shuffling forward. "Sorry," he muttered. "It's just cold."

Thorn herded them outside, and (y/n) tried to concentrate. He pictured Cyrus's face. He focused on his feelings of fear and danger. Last summer, Cyrus had apparently managed to create a way the two could talk to each other, but the details were still scarce on how. As far as (y/n) knew, they were still linked, but he'd never tried to contact Cyrus after the Summer ended. He didn't even know if it would work still.

  Hey, wee cunt! he thought. Thorn's kidnapping us! He's a poisonous spike-throwing maniac! Help!

  Thorn inarched them into the woods. They took a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights. The wind blew his jacket back, but the temperature wasn't any bother to him.

  "There is a clearing ahead," Thorn said. "We will summon your ride."

  "What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"

  "Silence, you insufferable girl!"

  "Don't talk to my sister that way.'" Nico said. His voice quivered, but (y/n) was impressed that he had the guts to say anything at all. (y/n) surely didn't have any of those left.

  Dr. Thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasn't human. It made the hairs stand up on the back of (y/n)'s neck, but he forced himself to keep walking and pretend he was being a good little captive. Meanwhile, he projected his thoughts like crazy—anything to get Cyrus's attention: Cy! Comic books! Blue! Rock bands! Get your icy Roman arse out here and bring some heavily armed friends!

  "Halt," Thorn said.

  The woods had opened up. They'd reached a cliff overlooking the sea. At least, (y/n) assumed the sea was down there, hundreds of feet below. He could hear the waves churning and he could smell the cold salty froth. But all he could see was mist and darkness.

  Dr. Thorn pushed them toward the edge. (y/n) stumbled, and Bianca caught him.

  "Thanks," he murmured.

  "What is he?" she whispered. "How do we fight him?"

  "I… I'm working on it."

  "I'm scared," Nico mumbled. He was fiddling with something—a little metal toy soldier of some kind.

  "No need. I've fought scarier things before," (y/n) reassured him, smiling brightly. He hoped he wasn't shaking as much as he felt he was.

  "Stop talking!" Dr. Thorn said. "Face me!"

  They turned.

  Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. At first (y/n) thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone. He pressed the side button and said, "The package—it is ready to deliver."