Chapter 2

One - (y/n)

Mild Inconvenience

(y/n) de La Cruz shouted out of the top of his lungs as the two headed snake pounced in his direction with its... front? Rear? Uhm... one of its heads.

  Oh, um, I'm a little far off from the beginning. My sincere apologies.

  Let's start over.

  (y/n) de La Cruz, a British 8 year old, visiting his adoptive mother's family, in New York, America. 

  He expected everything to go wrong, but his moms waved him of as being his overthinking self. They agreed to take his best friend, Pankaj, along, and also his emotional support dog

  Harley and Ivy, his mothers, thought it would all be okay with that.

  Long story short, it was not.

  As for the long version;

  All the way up to the city, everything was calm. Peaceful, even. The plane ride wasn't filled with anything, there weren't people that demanded the flight attendants working to do their jobs better, older women trying to squeeze (y/n)'s cheeks, kids trying to pet his dog that was clearly in service. There was nothing. It felt eerie, in a way.

  But when he wished things weren't so calm, he didn't expect them to go completely maniac level with how weird they got.

  As soon as they landed, a tension filled the air. His shoulders felt heavy and stiff, his dog was uncharacteristically nervous and agitated, Pankaj seemed to be sweating. Despite all the signs that there was something that wasn't right, (y/n)'s moms continued to lead them through New York.

  "(y/n)," Pankaj called, nudging his elbow on his friend.

  (y/n) hummed as he let his dog lead the way, following his mothers and stopping every once in a while.

  "We still have to get started on History homework, Y'know?" Pankaj said, averting his eyes to the side.

  "Ugh," (y/n) grunted. "No need to remind me."

  Pankaj smirked. "Lucky for you, I am an expert. We could do a small quiz, until we go back home."

  "Uhm, sure?" (y/n) shrugged.

  "So... Why did Kronos eat his children?" Pankaj beamed as he pulled out a notebook and scanned through the pages.

  (y/n) eyed him weirdly. Who'd bring a notebook to a vacation? Honestly, even though they were best friends, (y/n) still thought Pankaj was weird most of the time.

  "Kronos was the king god–"

  "God?" Pankaj raised an eyebrow in question.

  "Titan," (y/n) corrected himself. "And... he was afraid his kids would dethrone him, so he ate them."

  "And then...?" Pankaj said as he rolled his hand forward.

  "His wife hid baby Zeus and gave some rocks to him instead, then when Zeus grew up, he made Kronos throw up his other kids," (y/n) rambled, barely breathing in between words. "That sent the gods and the Titans into a war, that ended with the gods winning."

  "Breathe, (y/n), breathe," Ivy warned, patting his back.

  (y/n) shook his head and gasped for air, puffing it all out and rolling his shoulders.

  "Okay, Eminem, that's correct. But you still need to learn more if you want anything above a D... Like usually," Pankaj muttered as he wrote something in his notebook.

  (y/n) rolled his eyes. Yeah, sure, he never got above a D- in history class, but he could get a C in other classes, and an A+ in music!

  "No need to rub it in."

  "We're here," Harley said excitedly.

  "We're... At the back of a McDonald's," Ivy frowned.

  "Just a quick stop, I bet you're all hungry," Harley giggled as she started to drag her girlfriend along with her. "Come on, let's get food."

  "Harley, the kids...!" Ivy tried complaining, though her partner had already entered the backdoor.

  (y/n) felt suddenly nervous, his ears picking up on the hissing sound coming from Pankaj's throat, and the cracking sound echoing around.

  "And you thought I wouldn't catch on," Pankaj laughed loudly. "Come on, how long does it take for a kid to catch a scent, really?"

  "W– what?" (y/n) mumbled.

  "You are foolish, de La Cruz!"

  His dog started to growl in Pankaj's direction, the pet's teeth growing a decent amount larger and more yellow, while his fur expanded.

  It took (y/n) a moment before he realized that it wasn't only his dog's fur that was growing, but rather, all of him. His paws were turning into claws the size of a polar bear's, his body was turning so large the collar ripped out or his neck, his mouth was letting out a large amount of hot smoke.

  "Benny...?" he muttered.

  Pankaj scoffed. "Should've expected this."

  (y/n)'s best friend suddenly grew two pair of fangs, his skin turning green and scaly. Pankaj's body stretched until his clothes burst, and he was suddenly 2 meters tall, his limbs dissipating, with snakes heads instead of his own and his feet.

   "What–" (y/n) huffed, his heart beating out of his chest.

  He shouted out of the top of his lungs as the two headed snake pounced in his direction with its... front? Rear? Uhm... one of its heads, making him fall down to the ground in fright.

  Benny snarled and interrupted Pankaj's attack, sinking his teeth into the snakes' body, immediately directing their attention to him, which made both heads turn towards him with murderous intent.

  (y/n) raised his right hand, instinctively reaching out for his dog, who was currently endangered. "Benny!"

  His bicep veins created a brown hue, though it was almost immediately replaced by bright orange. The color quickly spread down to (y/n)'s elbow, his forearm, his wrist, the back of his hand, and his finger tips.

  His whole arm was embraced in a warm feeling, that he didn't realize was his own arm being set ablaze.

  A large wave of viscous red flames was sent in Pankaj's direction, catching both Benny and the snakes in its way, enveloping both in fire.

  (y/n)'s eyes widened and he quickly jumped to his feet. "Benny. Benny! Benny..."

  He sighed as tears welled in his eyes, the fire slowly decreasing. He fell to his knees and placed his hands to his face, soon feeling a paw resting on his leg and another softly clawing at his hands.

  "Benny!" he sighed as he took his palms off from his eyes, spotting his dog safe and sound in front of him, trying to calm him down in some way.

  (y/n) wrapped his arms around his pet and looked around, only spotting a bundle of sand on the place where Pankaj last was. "We're okay, boy. I'm okay."

  "I'm sure he's fine–" Ivy and Harley opened the door and looked down at their son, quickly forgetting their conversation and dashing towards him.

  "Hey, hey, don't cry," Harley shook her head as she kneeled down in front of him. "It's fine. We're here. You're gonna be alright."

  "What happened?" Ivy frowned in worry.

  "It's... Pankaj," (y/n) mumbled weakly.

  "... Who?" Ivy asked.