Chapter 14

Nine - Y / C

The Offer Stands

After Chiron had called Capture the Flag done, (y/n) and Benny had no more attention on them than they had since waking up-and the de La Cruz didn't know if that was good or supposed to be bad.

He took off his trashed out armor as soon as possible, discarding of his unused, overweight weapon as the magic sword he'd used had already been restored back into his earring's ashes.

He quickly stormed out before Luke could start any celebration, ordering Benny to take out a walk alone somewhere.

He'd nowhere else to go, so (y/n) sat in front of the fire in the middle of the cabins, watching the girl that seemed around his age poke it and keep the flame alive and warm. He hugged his legs to his chest, placing his head on top of his knees and sitting there in comfort with the silence, feeling the calm from the quietness, away from the cramped, noisy cabin eleven.

The young girl stopped grooming the fire, instead staring deeply into (y/n)'s direction, as if just now she had understood his presence beside her. He was actually sitting near her, and he wasn't doing anything special, he didn't seem to need anything, either.

"What's wrong?" she frowned. "Why did you come to me?"

"I just ... " (y/n) tried to think properly for his answer, worrying what the girl would think of him, even though he didn't know her. "I guess I thought I would be claimed like Percy. Nobody came to just say, "Oh, hey, I'm your godly parent," or anything. Nobody gave me a sign. I don't even know who they are."

"But ... you have been claimed," the girl muttered in confusion. "Didn't you feel it?"

(y/n) stared at the girl, blankly, as his mouth stayed slightly ajar. "What?"

"You have been claimed. Recently, by the looks of it. You don't seem to even know how it happened," her eyebrows furrowed.

"So ... who am I?" (y/n) grumbled in a short demand.

"You have to feel that for yourself, child," the girl smiled gently, gesturing toward the flame with her head.

(y/n) took a hot minute, before his hand slowly inched closer to the burning woods into the middle of the campfire. His body flinched back in instinct, before he processed that the fire wasn't hurting him, instead, quite the opposite. The flames were only making him feel more in peace. More at home.

He blinked slowly, worried something wrong was about to happen, still. He retrieved his fingertips from the blaze and stared at the girl in confusion.

"What... " (y/n) mumbled shortly, "what was that?"

The small girl smiled. "Try it again," she offered. "Play with the fire."

(y/n) gulped down dryly and invaded the fiery domains with his hand once again, encasing his own skin around the flame with only slight courage.

His eyes widened as he noticed his skin wasn't stinging and burning in the fire, nor was it hurting him at all. He flexed his fingers and gripped his fist, turning his hand around in the fire as if he was playing in a sandbox.

(y/n) smiled through the corner of his lips and waved his hand around softly, making the fire flash a different color and grow in size, which lead to (y/n) flinching back in surprise.

The now pink fire, that cracked with ashes and sparks, made (y/n)'s face look a different shade in the shallow light.

His fear overcame his calm and courage, making him take his hand back from the fire by force and crawl back in the ground with his four limbs, all the while a small group of terrified tears formed in the corner of his eyelids, and his chest heaved with his erratic breathing.