The Time To Be Alive

I slept at Sydney's house last night because I was so nervous. And I've been trying to figure out a way to talk to Scarlett.

All of our conversations have been rushed but we've both been so busy.

I got on a bus at 5 AM to head to Minneapolis just because of the plans Coach made before the game.

We went to the Mall of America, then the Institute of Art, then straight to the arena for warm-ups. Tonight, we get to stay in The Foshay.

The Wyatt's are coming. So are the Santoros. Mrs. Moreno is watching on the live stream. This is the game.

"You okay, Cap?" Allison looked up at me as she wrapped the black tape around the top of her socks.

I nodded and finished putting the eye black under my eye, "I like our state uniforms." I looked in the mirror at myself and nodded with the look I chose. Double dutch braids. Cross eye black on my right cheek and a plain old line on the left. Pink neck guard. Style is top tier for this game.

I turned back around and looked around the locker room.

Their eyes were on me too. They expect a game winning speech. I have to give that to them. One last time.

"Alright WestHampton. I am not gonna make this Disney Channel on you all." They smiled. "But I really really want us to win this game. I know we can. You all know we can. We had an awesome day today. And we're gonna have an awesome after party!" They cheered. "But, only if we win." I looked around the room and put my hand out, "Warriors on three! 1! 2! 3!"

"Warriors!"

"Now let's get out there and show those Wisconsin weirdos who's the real hockey MVP!"

"Yeah!" Everyone cheered together.

We walked out of the locker room and did our rounds before the other team finally came out.

And their jerseys were navy and white. Ours are obviously better. But their are really clean.

"I want Natalie on center. V and Jenny on defense. Anna and Kat wingers. JJ in goal." Coach looked up from his clipboard. "What are you all still standing here for?"

I grinned at the man and nodded, turning to the ice.

I can't look at the stands or I'll faint. Everyone I know and care about is here to watch this game. The coaches from Minnesota State are here. Julius isn't but Melly should be somewhere.

I just can't believe the season went by this quickly.

V pat the back of my pads, "Come on, Cap. We got this."

I looked at her as I tightened my chin strap a bit, "Of course we do." I nodded trying to convince myself.

The other teams defender is almost twice my size which doesn't really help my case.

The ref skated to the middle of the faceoff circle and looked between us, "I want a clean game. No tugging, fighting, and absolutely no skates up. That'll be an immediate disqualification for the team." He held the puck up and put the whistle in his mouth.

I swallowed hard.

And he dropped the puck.

The other girl slammed into my and knocked me back, taking the puck first.

I'm gonna beat myself up for that one.

I skated around her and over to the girls passing it back and forth.

V hit the one of the left and slid the puck in my direction.

I noticed their defensemen coming my way and dropped the puck back to Anna.