Girlfriend

"And that's the whole assignment?" That stupid brown haired boy always asks a damn question. Mrs Moreno explained it to us. She spent the entire class giving examples. And this kid asks if that's all. As if it's not a lot.

"Yes, Jordan. That's the whole assignment."

"But it's clearly going to be short."

I rolled my eyes and fought myself not to call this kid an idiot.

"It's a detailed essay about your favorite musical artist, Jordan. It's not going to be short." She looked around the room, "Are there any volunteers to tell me why it won't be short?"

I looked around as well. No one has their hand raised.

"If you answer, I will give you 5 extra credit points."

I don't need the extra points for my grade. No, I have a 105% in this class already. But I love music and I will give any excuse to talk about Taylor Swift or Ethel Cain.

So I raised my hand.

Mrs Moreno called on Reilly Puller and then me.

I cleared my throat, "Music is an art. It takes time and real talent to be able to create it in a way that makes people want to listen and dance or cry or be angry. It's going to be a long essay because you need to describe why that person's music makes you feel. Why they're you're favorite out of millions and millions of people out there trying to create."

Moreno nodded, "Who would you pick?"

The classes attention was on me. Mobius and Yoda were grinning at me like idiots because they know I don't want this much attention at one time.

"Well, Taylor Swift." The class groaned, "oh hold on." I stood up, "Taylor Swift is like, the person right now. She's a total girlboss and her lyrics really do make you feel. And she has different songs for every emotion. Grief, Sadness, Loneliness, Love, Longing, and, like, so many more. As of right now, she is the music industry." I sat down, "That's all."

Moreno nodded her head, "I have no doubt yo will express all of that beautifully on paper, Ms Wilson."

I nodded.

Then the bell rang.

Sydney wrapped her arm around me as we walked out of class, "You're an absolute Taylor Swift meat rider."

"That's my tiktok handle, Syd. Of course I am." I smiled at her as we walked into our English class.

English is my third favorite class of the day.

At least, it usually is. Because it's my class with Scar. And I sit right next to her because of our last names. I like this class because I don't get to see Scarlett till lunch and this is my 36 minutes of being with her.

But today is different.

Today, Bradley Henrichsen is sitting in my seat drooling over my girl.

And that's not the worst part.

No, she's giggling at him.

"Youch." Syd pat my back, "You should sit with me today."

"I should tell that meat head with chicken legs to get out of my seat-"

Syd shook her head and pulled me into the seat next to her desk, "That's suspicious."

I looked away from Scarlett and narrowed my eyes at Sydney, "What do you mean?"

She shrugged, "People are starting to... Catch on, I guess. You guys are close and spend every waking minute together. You defended her in the lunchroom too. It'll just look sus if you get all butthurt about him sitting in your seat."