Scarlett fucking Santoro

"I hate that bitch with all my heart."

Sydney looked at me from the drivers seat, worry written all of her face.

She's been my closest, bestest, most supportive friend since we were in kindergarten. Her mom was our teacher and that's how we became close. She knows all of my secrets, all of problems, all of my everything. And I know everything about her as well.

She's basically my sister.

So when I get in her car at 7 am already bitching about something my dad's done, she knows it's been a rough morning.

"You're almost out." She pat my back, "How about we get coffee on the way? A refreshing drink for the first day of school?"

I crossed my arms over my chest and stared at her. How can someone be so nice and chipper in the mornings? "Fine." I stared out the front window, wondering why God was punishing me.

Maybe I was a horrible person in my past life.

Yeah, that is the only logical explanation.

I was a horrible person who killed millions and millions of innocent people and now God's punishing me.

"What did he say to you this morning."

"Called me a freak." I mumbled, just loud enough for her to hear. Talking about the things that monstruous man says to me is never easy. It's never been easy to talk about.

"Okay." She pulled into the only parking space left at Franny's Café. Then she looked at me, a stone cold look on her face, "What else? Because if it was just that, you wouldn't already be in a mood."

I looked at my shoes. White converse. I have 12 different pairs of converse. They're my most favorite shoes. The white ones go really well with the Waterparks shirt I'm wearing. I love this band, so when Mr. Wyatt gave me tickets for my birthday, I was thrilled. Yoda and Sydney went with me. It was a night to remember.

"Natalie." She took my hands in her own, "Please talk to me."

I can't look at her when I say this. I'll cry. And I'll ruin my makeup. And then I'll cry because I ruined my makeup. "As soon as I woke up, he was screaming. Telling me I was gonna be late and he needs me out of the house before he leaves because he doesn't trust me." I sighed and played with the bracelet on her wrist. We have matching ones. "And an hour later, I'm dressed. Ready to go. And he's mad about my outfit because it's all black." I shook my head and looked at the Nike shorts I was wearing. "It's not a bad outfit you know? It's all black, yeah, but it's kinda good."

"I like it." She squeezed my hand, "What happened next?"

"He told me my mother would have disapproved of the outfit. That I'm such a disappointment to him and to her." I shook my head again, as if that would shake the tears away, "And I snapped back and said he was being an asshole." I scoffed, "Big mistake. He said if he was being an asshole to me, I'd start thinking of ways to kill myself or start carving up my legs again."

I am just glad he doesn't talk to Malachi like that.

How can he when he sent him to a fucking boarding school. He was supposed to come back for his freshman year but...

"Oh Natalie." She pulled me into her arms across the middle section of her jeep. She stroked my hair, "My mom would be okay with you staying with us tonight if you want?" She pulled away, "I can't imagine his temper will be gone by the time you get home."

"Are you sure they'd be okay with that?" I finally looked at her.

She smiled, "You already have a room there. I'm surprised you haven't moved in already."