Senior night

A full week passed.

Gabriella and I share one class period and she sits on the opposite side of the room, thank God.

The biggest problem is that it's my Physics class. My class with my favorite people and she's in it. She just had to be in that class.

Scarlett and I stopped talking as much. But I have been so busy with practice, I can't complain.

I am complaining though. I miss her more than I should.

But maybe this kind of space is good.

Like I was getting too attached for my own good.

Now it's game day.

Game freaking day.

"Welcome to West Hampton High School!" The announcer's voice finally filled the stadium. Varsity games play and practice in the full sized arena. JV plays in the mini. That's just how it goes. "This is our first hockey game of the season, as well as our Senior night."

They cheered.

Our student section is huge. It always is. Since the girls hockey team actually wins games, people cheer for us.

I am dead last to go. Wilson.

Jordan Arnold. Her mom is a teacher here. We all call her JJ because her middle name is June. She's our goalie. Damn good at it.

Jenny Hallin. Right defenseman.

Riley O'Connor. Left Winger. She and Anna switch. Anna's a Junior.

Hannah Price. We call her Rose because that's what she prefers. Left defenseman.

Daniella Rodriguez. Right defenseman.

Lilian Shwab. Usually a right winger but her defense is crazy.

Isabella VelÃisquez. Damn good player. Right winger.

Veronica Williamson. V. Left defenseman who knows how to defend.

Then me. Center. Always center. I'm the captain and I know the plays and I am really, really good at scoring.

I have it memorized because I've played with these girls since elementary school. That's what makes me a good captain.

I can continue down the list. All the Juniors. Our three sophomores. And our single freshmen. I know them all.

I make sure I know them all.

Because no girl is getting left out on my team. Ever.

"Lilian Shwab, being escorted on by her parents, David and Miranda. She wants to attend-"

The only reason I have ever dreaded Senior night. The parent portion. He isn't gonna be here. Especially today. He always locks himself in his room on this day.

"Natalie." Anna came into the locker room, "Coach says to get out here now and be ready. And your dad is waiting for you."

My head shot up. "What?"

"Coach wants you out here." She furrowed her eyebrows together, "And your dad is looking for you." Then she left.

I stood up and looked in the small mirror.

Sydney braided my hair into two french braids.

We got new uniforms this year. White is home. Red is away.

And I fuck with the red.

It's so good.

So clean.

I brushed myself off and looked at grabbed my skates, and slid on my regular shoes.