Chapter Four: The Falcon of Naligo

Children ran around her, chasing a domesticated Wacca as it flew low enough for them to reach. Jule smiled.

Widemill by day resembled Lorinda, if only a bit dirtier.

People worked in the streets, loud music coming from one of the apartments right over the flower shop.

Jule quickened her pace, because the divine smell around that door put her in a good mood, every time. Katara followed, silent but aware. She didn't visit as much as Jule, but she knew her way around, too.

At the same time they worked way more in Widemill than any other council, chasing criminals who would never be imprisioned otherwise, the people over there were the friendliest. They cared for one another, the children played freely.

Poor people couldn't worry about the same things wealthy people did. When they had to feed a son, a daughter, or a sick mother, they didn't care about the sun burning the back of their neck at the square; they couldn't be bothered to throw dinner parties when every week, one of their babies fell sick. Still, they danced in the streets, shared food with each other, and allowed their kids to play outside.

No worries about Phillip Boza running those streets at night.

When she asked, the answers always came back vague or they'd shrug at it. No concerns for their lives. It's a slow learning experience to realize the people in Widemill didn't fear him.

He trafficked drugs made from a local plant called Portza through his many restaurants. The guards, the government, and the people were aware. But he remained untouchable, the Gods only understood how.

Katara had her theories, of course, that he had dirt on politics, sold to guards, and all the bargains he made... Boza was no fool.

But some of his actions didn't quite fit in with his despicable behavior. He bought his restaurants' produce at Widemill's central square, many of the local craft shops around only opened because he'd invested.

They had also investigated one of the biggest robberies at Lorinda's religious museum, where only a centuries-old gold statuette representing Cascal disappear. No thief had more manpower and resources to do that than Phillip.

Katara touched her shoulder when they stopped in front of the restaurant.
"We'll go in together, talk to Phillip, see what he wants. Then, when you meet Carrillo, it's on you to try and get as much info as you can."

"Sure."
Jule moved her head, taking in the beautiful scenery of Widemill's riverside square. The taverns and wine cellars and bars, already bursting with people for lunch, made for an interesting meal. All turned to the river, bursting with yellow flowers climbing the walls, they all looked simple compared to Virgo, Phillip's restaurant.

In the middle of a tavern and a wine bar, Virgo stood utterly misplaced. The clean, wooden walls had the yellow flowers on them too, the same Della liked to take home.

The doors and windows arched, and statues rested above them, with despictions of beautiful man in different degrees of... strong emotions.

Some shouted in silence, at nothing. Others cried tears that would never be wiped out from their faces. Only one of the statues showed bliss.

"This looks so out of place." Jule muttered, noticing the polished uniforms of the waiters, coming out to serve people who sat at the terrace.

"He didn't try to blend in at all. This man has no fear of being caught."

The clients were the big discrepancy in the scenery. Some sat there wearing casual clothes, with a few not even bothering to change their muddy boots after coming from the river. And the rest of them showed fancy clothes. No jewelry, nothing shiny, just dresses and suits.