"Because I'm scared I can mess everything up." she burst into a nervous laughter. "Oh my God I was so scared of messing everything up that I indeed ended up messing everything up."

"It's not too late to take the right decision." Andy told her. "Whatever it is.". And Maya hoped with all her heart that her friend was right.

________________

Carina was in Keira's room, checking her vitals. She gazed at the girl. She looked so tiny on that bed, so tiny and helpless and Carina knew that Keira was everything but helpless. Quite the contrary instead, she was smart, stubborn sometimes, but also very determined. And now, without Raphael, she was alone too. Carina let out a sigh and sat down next to the bed. She gently caressed the teen's forehead, careful not to touch her bandages wrapped around her head.

"Mi dispiace così tanto." she whispered, tears rolling down her cheeks. "I'm so sorry.". Alone. That girl was all alone now and it didn't matter how strong and stubborn she was, she deserved way more.

"Hey.". Carina turned around and almost jerked when she found Meredith in front of her. She wiped her tears away with the back of her hand, hoping that the surgeon hadn't noticed her crying.

"I was leaving, you..."

"Don't worry, you can stay. I was going to check her vitals, but I see that you already did it." Meredith told Carina.

"She is stable." the Italian claimed. "At least she isn't getting worse.". Meredith sweetly squeezed her shoulder and glanced at her. She was about to say something, when a woman in her sixties entered the room.

"Mrs Walton, it's nice to see you." the surgeon welcomed her. Kathleen Walton had been appointed as Keira's social worker and both Meredith and Carina didn't like her, at all. She was quite bold and closed-minded and it was obvious she considered the girl just a pile of paperwork and nothing more.

"Sorry if I bother, but I need to know how she is doing." she requested.

"She is stable, but we don't know when she wakes up." Meredith explained. The older woman snapped her tongue, annoyed. She filed some papers and faked a smiled.

"Any news from the police?" Carina found the strength to ask. "We couldn't perform a rape kit, so..."

"It's wrong, you didn't want to perform it." the social worker said. "I gave my consent."

"But it doesn't work like this. The victim is the one who needs to give consent. It's the whole point of the kit!" Carina replied. That woman was definitely getting on her nerves.

"Yes, as you want." Walton cut short. "Anyway, I haven't heard anything from the police, I'm sorry.". Carina felt Meredith's hand on her back and took a deep breath, to calm herself down and prevent herself from doing something very stupid. "I have to go. Keep me updated."

"Sure." Meredith assured the social worker, the fakest of the smiles pictured on her lips. When the woman had finally left, the surgeon turned to Carina, her gaze unreadable.

"What?" the Italian frowned.

"Have you talked with your wife?". Carina felt her stomach twitch in anxiety and for a moment she wished the floor could devour her and help her disappear. Meredith shook her head, disappointment in her eyes.

"Carina, you have to tell her."

"No, I don't." the OB/GYN replied. "And it's not your business, at all.". Meredith scoffed and crossed her arms.

"If you don't talk to her, you won't see the OR for the rest of your life.". Carina widened her eyes, not wanting to believe her own ears.

"You're not my boss, Meredith!" she retorted. "And I'm not one of your interns! You don't have the right to threaten me in such a way!"