"Hello granny, grandad, it's so good to see you," squealed Rihanna, coming into the house followed by Rex, carrying a mountain load of ice-cream for everyone. So the next few minutes, the enormous family gathered around them, getting updates about everyone. Sawyer looked around again. She wasn't there.

"Where's Ryder and Ryan? Don't see them around?" asked Sawyer, unable to contain himself any longer.

"Oh, they've gone out to meet their old friends," informed his ma. Rhett and his siblings went towards their rooms to freshen up, but Sawyer was restless. He had to see her. He had to see Renée.

Last month, on her thirteenth birthday, while the whole family had gathered around to celebrate, he had purposely stayed away. Sawyer couldn't face her with the special feelings growing in his heart for her. He knew he couldn't treat her like a cousin ever. He wasn't related to the Wilsons by blood, but he was too indebted to this family to go against their wishes. So when Rihanna showed him the birthday photographs, all he could do was stare at her. She had grown so beautiful and he really missed her.

"Oh, they must have grown up so much," he said with a smile. He couldn't ask about Renée. After all, she was the daughter of the family and, as such, his foster cousin.

"Where's Renée?" asked his granny, suddenly looking around.

"Don't know mom, I haven't seen her for the last two hours," said Sawyer's ma.

"This girl! I'm sure she's off somewhere upon her Cinnamon," said their granny with an eye roll. Cinnamon was Renée's favorite horse in the entire world. They shared a beautiful bond, and both cared a lot for the other. Everyone knew Renée was safe with Cinnamon, but Sawyer was still agitated.

"Why does she need to go alone? Is it safe? I'll get her home, granny," he said with a scowl, dashing off towards the stables in a fury. He quickly saddled his horse, Challenger, who was a chestnut brown stallion whom he had trained personally. They shared a good rapport and he wouldn't want to ride any other horse than his Challenger.

"Whoa! Go Challenger," he commanded his horse. As he took off, galloping out of Wild Creek Ranch, Sawyer tried to look at the faraway grasslands to see if he could detect Renée's long, chocolate brown hair anywhere. "Let's look for Renée, boy!" he said, patting Challengers neck.

Challenger galloped through the trail leading to Bearhead Creek. She wasn't there. He rode past the pine trees, cedar and maple trees, past the beautiful stretches of multicolored blooms, primrose, aster, daisies, but couldn't see her anywhere. The vast grasslands stretched all around him, the next ranch being miles away.

He had to find her soon before sunset. Sawyer was worried by now. Where could she go? She should have at least been informed at home where she was going. Furious and worried, Sawyer scanned the entire area. It was late afternoon and yet he hadn't found her.

"Ren," he yelled, his voice cracking with desperation. "Please God, let her be safe," he whispered. As if God had listened to his prayers, Challenger suddenly refused to move. Sawyer was immediately alarmed. Did he see a grizzly anywhere? They roamed about freely near the creek for a drink, and it wasn't safe at all to go there alone.

Then he saw her and couldn't look away. He stared at her as she rode upon Cinnamon, galloping towards him with an enormous bunch of vibrant flowers in her arms, her long silky curls blowing in the wind behind her, her white sundress billowing in the wind. There was an ethereal quality on her face, which made Sawyer transfixed to the spot.

He just gazed at her as she approached him with the same look of admiration on her face, like always. He knew she liked him and, being so much older than her, he never encouraged her in any way. But he couldn't help his heartbeats when they accelerated whenever she was near. It seemed like time stood by for him as he stood staring, too hypnotized to react.

As she came to a stop right in front of him, he came to his senses. "What are you doing here all alone? The sun's about to set. Do you think it's safe to roam about at this hour?" he yelled at her with mad fury, glaring at her as he dismounted from his horse. Renée paled at seeing so furious. She watched him in silence, looking hurt, her eyes filling up with tears. She slowly dismounted and stood in front of him, holding the flowers out to him.

"I just wanted to collect these flowers for you," she whispered almost to herself, but yet Sawyer heard her. Her words had him floored. Did she come here to pluck flowers for him? He took the flowers from her hands, his eyes never leaving hers.

Doe-shaped hazel eyes connected with brilliant blue ones that seemed to stare into her soul. He could see how ecstatic she was to see him. He noticed the rapid rise and fall of her chest. Her eyes seemed to speak volumes while she just stared at him with that same adoration as always. The pictures he saw didn't do justice to her beauty. She was more beautiful in person.

"Do you like them, Sawyer?" she asked, staring up at him expectantly. Sawyer tore his eyes away from hers and looked at the flowers she had picked for her. He softened into mush. But could he once show her how touched he was by her thoughtfulness?

He sighed, giving in to his urges for once. "Yes, Ren, c'mon, give me a hug," he whispered to her.

Only You (Wild Creek Ranch Series Book 4)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara