Chapter 13 Part 2

I refuse to trust her as I once did with Tamou. That was a long time ago, when I was six and Adjera was eight. Despite being older, Adjera often behaves like a child. It was around the same time that the Famous had just arrived. It was a week before the tragic loss of our parents. They were perfect, their looks, their hair, everything. If only I had seen it coming.

The Tamou's wanted to be my best friends. Being too young to know better, I agreed. They were troublemakers at heart. Two days before my parents died, we had a major argument. They wanted me to disobey the king and join them in stealing maize and wheat from the king's land.

When we got caught, they blamed me. It wasn't hard, given my reputation. Only my parents and my sister trusted me. My parents grounded me, and I was homebound. The last day of my grounding, Adjera came home in tears, bearing the news of our parents' death. She wouldn't say how it happened. The grief was like icy saltwater, drowning me.

To make matters worse, the Tamou's didn't even stay with us on the day of the funeral. They were there, but with their new friends. Each time I passed them, they would snigger or point at me. But I learned to ignore them. I've developed a thick skin, like a snake. I don't gossip about my friends. That's why I give off a cold vibe when people ask me questions. I just shrug. I refuse to give them the same trust I gave the Tamou's. It remains an unshakable memory. The trauma still holds me, seared into my memory.

I hope to see another one of you paper's later. You will honor my parents' memory. Fly by next time