Chapter 12

Blood seeped from the wound, trickling down like a reluctant stream. The door burst open, and a group of women stormed in, their faces etched with worry. As their eyes fell on me, their expressions hardened into anger.

"You! What have you done to him?" one of them demanded, hands planted firmly on her hips. Her voice echoed with rising fury. I remained silent, swallowed by disappointment and a sharp pang of guilt gnawing at my conscience.

"Niawara Bio, get in here!" a lady commanded. The door creaked open, and Niawara walked in, her posture as rigid as a soldier's. "Fetch the clothes," the woman ordered, her gaze never leaving mine. "The Oruos are on their way."

A tense silence filled the room, broken only by the soft shuffle of feet. Two figures appeared in the doorway - the Oruos. Recognition flashed in their eyes, but I quickly dismissed it. "Do we know each other?" they asked. "No," I replied, my response almost too quick.

Adjera shot me a quick, disgusted look, but it vanished as swiftly as it had appeared. I felt a pang of unease, but I pushed it aside. The guilt of causing worry for the Oruos weighed heavily on me.

The woman turned her attention back to the room. "You're responsible for this one. The majesty said so himself," she said, pointing at me. I could only gasp in response. "Get moving!" she urged, effectively ending the conversation.

As we left the room, the Oruos extended a hand towards me. "We're the Oruos," they introduced themselves, then launched into a conversation in Fon. Their brows furrowed, their voices low - it was clear they were discussing something serious.

"I'm Forna, and this is Adjera," the taller one finally said, breaking away from their conversation. They looked weary, their clothes tattered and muddy, their dress straps torn. Despite the disapproving looks we received from passersby, there was a certain beauty in their resilience.

Their home was a humble hut, devoid of any luxuries. Inside, it was dark and bare, save for a pot and some worn-out food. Yet, in their bright eyes - blue for Forna, hazel for Adjera - there was a spark that outshone their surroundings. "Make yourself at home," they said, their voices echoing in the empty space.

If my mother were here, she would've turned up her nose at the sight. But for me, it was a chance to understand their world, to share in their struggles, and perhaps, to lighten their load.

When I pushed the king, I took a step back, feeling a mix of fear and exhilaration. His surprised expression was etched in my mind, a reminder of the bold step I had taken. But with that boldness came a heavy pang of guilt, a constant reminder of the consequences of my actions, and the worry I had inadvertently caused for the Oruos.