Returning

You stand in front of a large glass window on a high floor of some building. The city sprawls beneath you, alive and vibrant, and the radiant blue sky blankets above. It's clear, you think, it's really clear.

A phone is in your hand, and you glance down at it. The lock screen is unfamiliar; it is a picture of an endless green field, rows immaculate, earth rich brown. 12:03. The date is—

A door somewhere behind you opens. Jumbled voices pour out from the room. Your phone tilts downward as you move to examine the left hand that holds it. A simple, gold band rests around your ring finger.

"Mari," a familiar, unfamiliar voice calls. "Want to go get some lunch? It won't taste as good as your organic stuff, but, hey, food is food..."

There is another familiar, unfamiliar chuckle.

You slowly lift your gaze to the two heroes standing a few feet away from you. Midoriya's suit is slightly different, and he's bigger, older. His wild green hair has been shaved off in an undercut on the sides and back, but it still sprouts up in unruly curls. Freckles and the youthful smile he wears are the only remnants of the face you know; everything else is sharper, more defined.

Beside him, Iida has his Ingenium helmet loosely underneath an arm, although it is not a helmet you immediately recognize. His glasses are different. While they have a rectangular shape, the edges are softened, and the top is rimmed black in a wayfair style. He no longer sports an undercut. His hair has grown out a bit, and it's styled back nicely. Like Midoriya, Iida's looks are more set and surer. A faint scar trails up the corner of his right jaw.

They both regard you expectantly. Your phone slips from your grasp and bounces onto the gray carpeted floor.

"This..." you mumble. "This isn't..."

Midoriya and Iida's faces become solemn once they realize what is happening. Solemn, but understanding.

Iida takes a half-step forward. Midoriya places a hand on his arm to stop him. They need to keep their space. They are not the people you yet know.

"Where were you, Mari?" Midoriya gently inquires. You blink, then turn your head back toward the window. Sunlight gleams off the glass.

"Kamino," you say. The name rolling off your tongue causes memories to snap against you like the string of a bow. You take a breath. You must remain calm. "Kamino Ward."

A moment of silence, then a soft, "Ah."

You manage a small smile. "So it's that bad."

"Not bad," Iida corrects neutrally. "It simply has been a long time for us since then. That's all."

"Is...did All Might..." You swallow the lump forming in your throat. You must stay calm.

"He won," Midoriya says. His absence of emotion about his mentor concerns you.

"Good. That's good."

This isn't the first time this has happened to you, has it? The way Midoriya and Iida are reacting tells you that they are prepared for such an occurrence, or at least they can see the signs. You have shifted—will shift—in the future. But what is the future? Is this it? No, this is the present.

Time curves from its linear path for you. Because of you. Stay calm. Stay calm.

"So I'm a hero?"

"Yes, of course." Iida has a touch of humor in his tone. "You are an exceptional hero."

"Beyond exceptional," Midoriya adds.

"And...and people are okay with that? You're okay with that?"

They pause, wondering who is going to answer first. Finally, Iida clears his throat and says, "One day, Mari, you will be able to accept the fact that you can do what you desire without being fearful of the reactions of others. Then you will see that many, many like us, have nothing but awe and love toward you."