Practical Exam

Messy black curls hang over most of your face, but he can see your soft smile peeking through the veil of your hair. You shift slightly on your side, blankets moving, and is it raining? He can't look toward the window, doesn't want to look toward the window because you're so close. Are your shoulders bare? He can almost see the curve of your exposed back in the gray morning light.

You have your arms crossed underneath your resting head. He wants to reach out and touch you, kiss you like he would have in your kitchen if he hadn't panicked, but he can't move.

So he stays put. Is it raining outside? He doesn't want to wake up. Just...just let it stay like this.

You say something that he doesn't hear over the steady roll of thunder. The sound of the storm grows louder but please, please, let the dream continue.

"Hey," you whisper, voice muffled yet clear, and your iridescent, golden eyes are sad as though you know he's about to leave. But you continue to smile. It's soft and so close. He wants to brush his thumb over your lower lip.

"Who do you think of when it rains?"

You begin turning toward him, blankets falling back, and his breath hitches—

Shinsou's eyes open, and the first thing he does is sigh.

Isn't the answer to your question fucking obvious?

He rolls over to face the window in his bedroom. Raindrops patter against the glass in slow, steady beats. The movement disturbs Mochi, but she's so lazy that all she does is glare at him before curling tighter into her ball and drifting back off to sleep.

Part of Shinsou wants to do that, to drift and see if the dream will come back to him. But it'd be a worthless effort; he's already waking up and needs to go to the bathroom. Just for a little while, though, he stares up at the ceiling of his bedroom and replays the dream in his head, once again imagining what could have been.

His phone buzzes on the nightstand. Shinsou grabs it and has to scoff when he sees who's sending him a text message.

Because, of all people...

06:22
Mari 🌻
Gooooooooooood morning! 😁😁😁

06:22
Mari 🌻
And goooooood luck on the first day of exams!! You got this! I. Believe. In. You.

06:22
Mari 🌻
Oh and I also baked stress cookies bitch so meet me at the station so I can give you some

06:23
👍

06:23
Better be good

06:23
Mari 🌻
You know ittttttt

Shinsou lets the phone drop onto his chest. Then, quietly but with a smile, he mutters, "Shit."

-

Written exams go by quickly. You sit your ass in a desk, whip out a pencil, and go through sheet after sheet of questions for three days straight. You imagine that you do well, but you're worried about Ashido and Kaminari. They're...they're great people, for sure, and they're going to be epic heroes, but they have a—oh, what is it? A blasé approach to many situations, primarily educational. Yaomomo and you did your best with all of them, but now it's out of your hands.

And you have one extra exam to take.

After the third day of exams are over, instead of walking to the train station with your friends, you make your way to the infirmary. Recovery Girl is waiting for you when you get there with her familiar, kind smile, and a single spare desk off to the side of the room.