Insightful

You stare at the projection on the screen. It lists the number of internship offers everyone in the class got after the Sports Festival. Why do you stare? Oh, well, uh, maybe that's because you still got fifty fucking offers despite being a weenie and ditching out of the second round.

"Whoa, Isoko," Midoriya mutters, glancing back at you. "That's a lot, even..."

"Even though I don't deserve it?" you say back with a trace of bite to your words.

"Hey, that's not true," he argues. "You did amazing during the obstacle course. You helped a lot of people out like Jirou and Uraraka. Agencies were bound to notice it."

"Wait," you drawl. "How do you know that I helped them out?"

He swallows and sits ramrod in his chair. The back of his neck flushes pink. "I—I was—I just glimpsed it when I was reviewing the video of the obstacle course!"

You can't help but laugh. "Bruh, chill. It's all good. Maybe they did see me."

"It...probably helps that you completely demolished those zero-pointers, too," he adds meekly.

"Oh yeah. I forgot about that."

"What? How could you forget?"

You shrug and make an I-don't-know noise. "It wasn't that big of a deal for me."

It's the first time you hear an ounce of bitterness in Midoriya's forced chuckle. "Aw, don't be salty," you say, poking his back with a finger. "With my rigorous training schedule that I've provided, you, too, can wreck shit without getting your shit wrecked!"

Yaomomo leans forward, overhearing the conversation. "You gave Midoriya a training regimen?" she inquires. "What is it?"

"Meditation and a little yoga," Midoriya replies. "At least twice a day for thirty minutes."

She hums. "Sounds like she's just telling you to relax a little."

"Hey, is that so bad?" you say. "Look at him, Yaomomo." You poke at his back again, and Midoriya makes a shy noise. "He's wound up so tight he could just snap in two at any second."

With a light laugh, Yaomomo says back, "I suppose you're right. I'm sure if anyone has the secret to optimizing their quirks, it's you."

Maybe that's what the hero agencies think. Or it could be that they know who your dad is, and they want to get in good graces with Radiance. Well, you'll have to break it to them that since you can't get into his good graces, then they probably won't for taking you on, either.

You gaze out the rain-streaked window, growing somber. They should have chosen Midoriya instead. Anyone else.

When Midnight storms the classroom and passes out whiteboards and markers for everyone to write their name down, anxiety spreads throughout the room, but it's mingled with excitement. You stare down at the surface of the board, and because of its faint, specular properties, you can see a bit of yourself in the reflection.

Who do you want to be? Nothing flashy. Who do you want to represent?

To be honest, you haven't given your hero name much thought. At least, not in English or Japanese.

"How do I write electromagnetic waves and the quantum sound of atoms existing in a language that isn't math?" you ponder aloud.

"Can math...even do that?" Midoriya wonders from his seat. He's trying to distract himself from the same dilemma you're having. Because honestly, there aren't that many different ways to switch All Might around with originality.