CHAPTER THREE

Sam jogged to catch up with her cousin and Ron. She mulled over the meeting in her head. ' Draco Malfoy...so THAT was the bully.' The one the boys had said was giving Harry a hard time and tried to take their sweets. The one who's family Ron said came from the Dark Side. But the boy she just met seemed like none of those things. He seemed pretty normal to her. ' And cute.' Her mind supplied. " Firs' years! Firs' years over here! All right there, Harry? Sam?" Hagrid's big, hairy face beamed over the sea of heads. " C'mon, follow me-any more firs' years? Mind yer step, now. Firs' years follow me!" They followed Hagrid down a dark, slippery path. The whole way they were flanked by huge, thick trees that seemed to stretch to forever. Nobody spoke much. Somewhere behind them Neville sniffled quietly. Sam wouldn't have been surprised if a noose with a hanged man suddenly dropped from a branch in front of them, or a corpse lumbered from the shadows it was so dark and spooky. In fact, she was half expecting it...

" Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec!" Called Hagrid. " Jus' round this bend here." Many of the kids let out a loud ' Oooooh!' as they came in view of the school. Before they stood a huge, black lake, and on the other side sitting high on top of a mountain was a castle, glittering in the distance with lights, towers and turrets. " No more'n four to a boat!" Hagrid called, pointing to a fleet of boats sitting at the edge waiting to be filled. Harry, Sam and Ron piled into one, with Hermione joining them. ( But making sure to not sit by Sam.) " Everyone in?!" Shouted Hagrid, who had a boat to himself. " Right then-FORWARD!" The boats moved all at once, gliding across the lake which was as smooth as glass.

Harry, Ron and Sam could only stare in wonder as the castle loomed ahead of them in the moonlight, each of them awe struck by it's presence. Sam could only think of two questions in her head; One-what fairytale had she stepped in to? Two; How was she supposed to find anyone in a place like that? It was definitely large enough to get lost in. How would she find her way around, or any of her friends? The image of the blonde boy-Draco-popped into her head and she felt herself blush.

Sam was glad it was dark out so she wouldn't have to explain herself to her cousin or their new friend, Ron. She was relieved to know he hadn't been pushed or anything like that. And the other two boys hadn't bothered them. Maybe friends of his? And when Harry had called out for her in the distance, she remembered her promise to him that they'd stay together and she was forced to part with Draco reluctantly. But he seemed about her age, so maybe they might share a class or two? She secretly hoped so.

Yes, she knew she was developing a crush and no, she had no intention of telling her boys anything about it.

" Heads down!" Called Hagrid, and they all obeyed as they reached the cliff, the boats taking them through a rocky tunnel under the mountain. The boats eventually came to a stop and a dimly-lit underground harbor. They all climbed out of their boats to land on a bed of slippery rocks and pebbles. " Oy, you there! Is this your toad?" Asked Hagrid, who was checking the boats as they kids clamored off of them.

" Trevor!" Neville cried happily, holding the pet close to him. Together they all followed Hagrid through the tunnel, following his bright lamp until they reached a lawn of smooth, dewy grass right in the shadow of the castle. They walked up a flight of stone steps and crowded around a set of huge, oak double-doors. " Everyone here? You there, still got yer toad?" Once everyone was accounted for, Hagrid raised his fist and knocked three times at the door. A witch in emerald green robes and a black witches' hat adorned with black feathers answered the door. She had a very strict countenance to her and Sam got the impression that this was not a lady to mess with.

" The firs' years, Professor McGonagall." Said Hagrid.

" Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." She said calmly. She pulled the door wide open for them. The entrance hall was so big you could have fit a whole house in it. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches, the ceiling was high and a grand marble staircase led to the upper floors. Sam felt very much like she had just stepped from the real world into Castlevania. They followed Professor McGonagall through the entrance into a small, empty chamber off the hall. They all crowded in, standing much closer than they had ever done, and all eyeing each other nervously. The older woman clasped her hands together before all of them.