Chapter 22. On the Wings of The Night

Opening the door to the roof proved to be relatively easy. Theo used his Gift to melt the metal lock, allowing Ann to push it open. They stepped out onto the flat roof, greeted by a breathtaking view.

Unlike Ann's hometown, Middle Lake never slept. The downtown buildings were illuminated, indicating that hundreds of people were living their lives to the fullest at that very moment.

Theo approached Ann from behind, wrapping his arms around her. "Do you enjoy living here?"

She chuckled nervously. "So far, it's been a bit of a nightmare. But I hope we'll have a chance to truly enjoy it."

"We will," he whispered before leaning in to kiss her.

Lost in the taste of his warm lips, Ann forgot the purpose of coming to the roof.

Elliana's voice brought her back to reality. "Guys, we need to seal the door. They will soon realize the apartment is empty and come upstairs."

Ann took a step back from Theo and fixed the angel with a sharp gaze. Elliana had her wings spread, ready to take flight into the skies. But Ann couldn't let her go so easily. After all, Theo had a valid point - Elliana's actions in the cafe had put both of their lives at risk. They deserved an explanation.

"Fine," Ann said. "Let's suppose we seal the door and I create a portal to let you go. Then what? Are we just left here to die?"

Elliana smiled mysteriously. "Don't worry. You will be saved."

"Oh, really?!" Ann retorted. "Because I have a feeling those guys won't hesitate to kill us!"

"They won't -"

"How do you know that?" Ann interrupted, her voice filled with skepticism. "You said you're from a different realm, and we're connected. But why do you have the ability to sense what other people would do?"

Elliana turned her gaze towards Theo, seeking support. To Ann's relief, he was on her side.

Theo regarded Elliana with suspicion. "Ann is right. You claimed to have the same magic system as us. You can hide your wings and possess the Gift of empathy, if I understood correctly."

"No, she's an Illusionist," Ann said. "She can make her wings invisible."

"She isn't an Illusionist," Theo argued. "She simply used a regular Masking Spell to hide the wings."

"But that still doesn't explain her ability to sense other people's intentions." Ann gave him a worried look. "We have no idea who she really is."

Elliana rolled her eyes. "Okay, fine. You got me."

Ann stared at her, waiting for an explanation. The silence was broken by the sound of hurried footsteps on the stairs. Then, a loud crash echoed from the corridor just below them. Charlie's entrance door, Ann guessed.

"Please, close that damn door!" Elliana pleaded.

Theo crossed his arms. "I swear, I won't move a muscle until you explain yourself."

"But it's too complicated to explain in a short speech!"

Ann stepped closer to her. "The fastest way is to simply tell the truth."

Elliana looked at them with resignation. "Okay. If there's no other way..."

"There isn't," Theo assured.

Elliana took a deep breath. "Okay. Ann, everything you assumed about my Gift is incorrect. Theo is right about the Masking Spell. I used it to hide my wings."