Chapter 73

Chapter 73

Valentine's Day was right around the corner, and I knew I had to do something special.

Not because Lexi was especially demanding. I knew she didn't need grand romantic gestures. She liked little attentions.

But I still felt like I needed to keep proving to her that I loved her and that loving me wouldn't not be a mistake on her part.

Wanting to do something nice, and actually coming up with it were two separate things though. I had used up a lot of my good ideas.

I probably couldn't just paint something anytime I needed to get her a gift.

The thing was, I never really had a proper girlfriend, since Kendall honestly didn't count anymore, so I had no idea what was really expected of a Valentine.

I was pretty sure the only Valentine's Day card I ever made was for Lexi, years ago, but I'd been too chicken shit to actually give to her.

I probably had it hidden away somewhere in one of my old boxes too.

It would be collecting dust. Maybe it was time to give it to its rightful owner now.

I spent an evening sorting through boxes with old school books, to finally find the card, tucked in between the pages of one of my exercises booklet.

It wasn't my best piece of work, but Lexi would probably like it. If there was something I'd learned about Lexi, it was that she somehow didn't believe someone would actually love her. We had Alex to thank in part for that one.

I kinda wanted to remind her that even if Alex hadn't loved her, someone else had been in love with her in the sidelines all this time.

Even if her mother had left her, someone else had waited for her all along.

That flimsy card wasn't enough of a present. I also needed to plan an actual date.

Lexi had given me so much, without really realizing it.

She'd given me art again, helping me paint again.

She'd made me play the piano again. But that was a hurdle I hadn't quite as much conquered as painting.

She'd love hearing me play the piano. I could give that to her again. Properly.

With that plan suddenly forming in my head, I headed for our music room and sat at the piano. And then I got up and started to look through some of my father's sheet music.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to play and most of what he had lying around was actually full score and it would be more work for me to figure out what I wanted to pay in that.

I was pretty sure my father had a piano score for A Time for Us somewhere, and not that I wanted to curse us by playing a Romeo and Juliet theme song, but I just liked the way it sounded and was pretty sure Lexi would too.

And I was stubborn, so I spent a good two hours looking around like a lunatic until I finally gave up and sat at the piano again, trying to just come up with the notes by heart.

I played the song on my MP3 player, one earbud in my ear, and just decided to go with trial and error.

At some point, I felt like someone had walked in the room, so I stopped playing and turned around.

Sure thing, my father was standing by the door.

He kind of shook his hands, and said, "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to make you stop."