Chapter 54

Chapter 54

As Lexi had mentioned, her father invited my family to Thanksgiving dinner, and that was how the Eaton household ended up sitting around the dinning table at the Grayson's house.

It was a little weird for me, because even though I'd eaten many times at this house, we'd never actually used the dinning room. Honestly, I hadn't even known they had one.

Well. I knew they had one. I had just never seen it.

It was a nice room, with a large table and matching buffet. It could fit twelve people when the table was stretched to its max, but right now it was just set up for eight.

It made me think about the past, if their family used to host many dinner parties before their mother left.

I was pretty sure Annabelle used to use that table to play beer pong.

One thing I was pretty sure though, was that the Graysons used to always eat dinner in their dinning room, the whole family together.

So, it made sense then, for them to now just stick to the kitchen island. They didn't want the memories everyday. They wanted new memories.

I hoped it wasn't too hard on them. This was their first Thanksgiving without their whole family. Mother and eldest daughter were no show. Obviously it would have been weird if their mother would have just showed up, and Lexi's sister was too busy with college.

I knew Tyler and Lexi joked a lot about being annoyed with Annabelle, but I also knew that deep down, they actually missed her.

Or at least, they missed the way their family used to be. United. Together. Whole.

I could understand that. I could understand missing the way my family used to be.

I was a little worried too, if I was being a hundred percent honest with myself. I didn't think my parents were bad people or anything, but I had no idea how they would act around the Graysons.

And I wanted this dinner to be a good memory, not an awkward one.

My parents had brought a salad and dessert made by Anita, because we were all useless cook, and anyway Lexi's dad had said we didn't need to bring anything special. Anita was off with her family for Thanksgiving, so it really was a good thing that the Graysons were hosting, otherwise our dinner would have been a mess. Or reheated.

Everyone was sitting around, me beside Lexi, my mother beside my father on the other side, and Tyler was sitting at one end, already stock pilling food around him like he needed to make provisions.

Michael walked back into the room, and dropped the carved turkey at the center of the table. "Alright everyone, dig in," he said, and sat at the other end of the table.

"Thank you so much for inviting us again, we're really happy to be here," my father said, looking at Michael.

"You're welcome. I figured it was about time we me each other, with the kids dating now."

"You're right. It was definitely time to meet. We've really enjoyed having Lexi around in the last few weeks," my mother said with a smile.

"Same thing here, you've got a good kid," Lexi's father replied.

He gave me a wicked smile at that and I could almost hear him say something like "when he's not climbing up my gutter."

Fortunately for me, he didn't say anything like that in front of my parents.

"He's a good football player. With his shape, he should have been a receiver, so I know a lot of people who didn't expect him to be any good, but he did a great job," Lexi's dad continued.