Track 2

"No."

"Wa-what? Wait, hold on."

Zoe pushed the envelope back toward Amelia, "I'm not doing anything for Crater," offended that they would even ask.

"You were begging to do high-quality contracts for so long."

"Well, I'm fine now."

"Doing this mission will even give you another star. They made it a special benefit. At your age, being a triple-star would be very impressive. You know, normally, you'd have to do two B-rank missions. That's really tough to do; proven barely even ten percent of people have three stars on their badge. That's including all four colonies too!" One of her dogs barked as if to give emphasis to her claim.

"You de-patriate Ivy, and you want me to help you? I'm not taking bribes. You could make me a five-star. I'm not doing this." Her eyes fell to the ground, "Sorry," she mumbled and started shuffling away.

"Well, here's the thing about that," Amelia said. One of her Mastiffs bounded down the hallway, blocking Zoe's path. "We really aren't asking."

Zoe turned, seeing the corners of her mouth curl as if she was trying to hide a smirk.

Zoe paced in circles around her room. The letter lay open on her bed. 'They really want me to go across the country...by myself.' She thought back to several hours earlier.

Zoe stood awkwardly, avoiding Neph and Amelia's eyes as they stared at her. Neph was leaning forward at his desk, fingers entwined. Amelia stood to the side, both her dogs sleeping at her feet.

The cabin still had its usual smell. Neph had lit two large candles on the shelf behind his desk, giving off a scent of being near the water at a beach.

"As Amelia said earlier," Neph said, "I'm aware that we're the last people you want to help...but we're not asking you. We're telling you."

"I-I don't know..." Zoe mumbled; she glanced around the room nervously.

"Look," his voice softened considerably, "The person who contacted us is very trustworthy. We wouldn't have entertained this if we didn't think you could do it. Say what you want about yourself, but everyone here knows you're quite precocious." 'Even if your grades may suggest otherwise,' he considered adding but, thought better of it.

"Hey, also," Amelia said, "We're not saying you have to go immediately."

"How long do I have?"

"You got three days."

"In three days, you will board an aircraft and be flown to New York. New York City, to be exact. Before you go, we'll give you the address of where you'll meet him."

"That's not all, right?"

"No," Neph said, "But I'll let him explain to you what he wants you to do. Though I will say that there will be four other people you will be working with when you arrive."

"I can't pick someone to go with me?"

"Nope. The client seemed to have something particular in mind when he gave us this contract. Out of everyone available, our program chose you as the most suitable based on your stats. Usually we wouldn't do this, but he said this was urgent, and he's been a VIP client of ours for a while..." Neph trailed off. "If I recall correctly, the others are actually from some of the other colonies."

Zoe looked up, meeting his gaze, "Okay," she said, her words almost drowned by the slumbering dogs. "I'll do it." She didn't want to meet her eyes, but she could tell Amelia was smiling.