18

Colson and Ivy jogged up the last hill, following the stream and reaching the lake, which led into the waterfall. Reaching the top of the hill, they saw the dull glow of Cassius in the distance. Ivy inched towards the edge and looked down the waterfall.

Seemingly reading her mind, Colson said, "Don't try to jump; you'll probably die." He glanced down; the water reflected the orange light from the setting sun. 'The rays of light are hitting it at just the perfect angle.' Colson's eyes sparkled with amazement as he continued to stare. Beyond that, the forest next to Cassius was alive. The slight blur of movement from woodland creatures darting between trees; a hive of glowing bugs slowly rose into the air, barely able to be seen in the sunset.

"What are you looking at?" Ivy stood next to him, squinting at the forest, using her hand to shade her eyes from the sun.

"It's crazy what beauty that yellow star can bring."

"Yellow star?" Ivy looked into the sky, "Oh, my mom always said the sun was black."

They walked down the side of the hill towards the farm. They found Zoe, she was in the field, holding a jar full of lightning bugs that she had caught. Showing her everything they bought: three walkie-talkies and two night vision binoculars.

"You really splurged," Zoe said, looking at the receipt.

"We should use these tonight and see how many of that gang are around. We saw a couple walking around outside when we came in." Colson said.

"Yea, that's a good idea. Hmm," Zoe said, deep in thought. "We should get on the roofs of the houses and stay low to get a better look. The roofs should be cooled off now that it isn't being fried by the sun."

Zoe looked up, seeing the shadow of a hawk in the moonlight. She continued to climb up the ladder to the roof, gingerly patting the sheet metal on top to check for heat. Ivy bounded up the ladder after her.

Zoe shimmied up the angled roof on her stomach, slowly poking her head out over the ridge. The house had been built on the edge of the river on the east side of Cassius.

She held the walkie-talkie to her ear, "Alright, we're both on the roof."

"Over," Ivy said into hers.

Zoe shushed her and listened intently for Colson's response.

There was a crackling sound, "Uhh, yeah, hold on." There was mumbling and cursing on the other end. "Alright, there we go. Yea, I'm in position near the library. I've seen five people so far; they don't look too tough, we could take em'." Colson said. "I'm still on the lookout for that big dude, though. Honestly, that man is an absolute Neanderthal."

Zoe grinned, "He was thawed out."

Geier opened his eyes. He was sitting around a small table with Marlin and Kurt-Adam.

"Those kids are split up right now. The two girls are on the roof of a house near the east side. The other guy is about a mile or two away from us to the north, also on a roof. We should leave them alone; I doubt they'll be much of a threat. I'll tell-"

He was cut off by Kurt-Adam abruptly standing to his feet, spilling his half-full bottle of alcohol on the table.

"I'll get em' back for last time!" He said, a wild grin on his face. "I'll make sure there ain't nothing left of em'!" He opened the door and disappeared before anyone could say anything.

"Well, there he goes. Should I tell Kiari?" Geier asked.

"He's not as drunk as before, and quite honestly, I'm surprised he can recall ever seeing them—which I might add is a massive achievement—he shouldn't have any issue with some kindergarteners, so I wouldn't bother Kiari," Marlin said as he took a napkin to clean the table. "But make yourself useful for once and keep an eye on him."