Chapter 37

"Ave, Jashin et Idris, in morte salutamus te." Colson and Zoe both chanted as they stood beside the two fresh graves. Sitting next to them, Ivy watched silently, looking down at the sites, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

The villagers had scattered memorabilia across the freshly packed dirt of all the recently dead. Pictures, heirlooms, and old weapons.

When they had finished, Ivy jumped to her feet, energized, "We get to go back to Crater now, right?"

"Yup," Colson stretched, "Today's the day. We should probably confirm with Cahya that everything is all good before we go."

Zoe looked at Ivy, "We should ask the doctor to give us some stuff for Ivy's arm just in case." She glanced at her watch, 'Seven-thirteen. If something happens to Ivy, none of us know anything to help her....'

"We literally have pennies to spare," Colson grumbled, looking at the receipt.

"Well, we have good seats, at least—booth windows!" Zoe bubbled, looking out the window, watching the aircrafts enter and exit their respective hangers. "You still have your wedding ring money."

Colson sighed, looking around the area. The three were sitting in a large open concourse. Ivy was tinkering with a cheap plastic toy from a fast-food restaurant while Zoe was distractedly playing along. Zoe bought Ivy the most oversized shirt with the longest sleeves she could find. It was an ugly, itchy, and cheaply made sweater, the top half a dark brown and the bottom half a bright blue. It almost hurt Colson to look at.

Colson reached into his pocket, grabbing onto a small piece of paper. Right before they left, Cahya slipped into his hand. He took it out and read it for what felt like the thousandth time. 'I guess I have someone to call now.'

A monotone female voice came over the loudspeakers, "Flight crew at Gate C, prepare for boarding."

"What do you think will happen when we get back? Think we'll be famous?" Colson grinned as he sat down in their seats. It was a half-circular booth; the couches were a dark purple, facing the line of windows that went along the upper deck along the outside.

"What normally happens after missions?" Ivy asked.

"From the few I've done, you just go to the quest master, and they'll confirm that you actually completed the job, and that's it. After a day or so, you'll get paid."

"Why would this be different?"

"I dunno. I doubt most of them have done anything like we just did. Think about it, Ivy; we're heroes!"

"Heroes..." Zoe echoed, her voice full of lament. "I don't know about that."

His voice started to vibrate and shake as the aircraft's engines shuttered to life. "If saving a village full of hundreds of people doesn't make us heroes, then I guess that bar is set pretty high."

"We'll be there in four hours," Zoe said, changing the subject.

Colson looked to Ivy, whose eyes glinted with amazement.

"So this thing can actually take us to Crater?"

"Wait, hold on," Colson said, "You've never seen one of these before?"

"No," Ivy shook her head. "I thought I saw some flying in the sky, but nothing like this."

"I've never been on one either," Colson admitted, "But I've seen them plenty of times. Occasionally, a private one will land in Crater."