Chapter 34

Several hours earlier.

Zoe jammed her short golden blade into the side of the tree, wiggling it, careful not to warp or break the knife. The sap from the tree was dark red with golden flecks. They shoved the small iron tap into the open wound, sending the liquid stream into Ivy's red metal bucket.

"What?" Ivy asked, noticing how Zoe kept glancing down at her, giving off her usual nervous energy.

"I just want you to be careful."

"I'm always careful."

"No, you aren't."

Ivy shrugged, pulling the bucket away once it was almost completely filled. Cahya had suggested they each drink a cup of the sap, as it would make them feel rested and energized before their confrontation.

"I was thinking right, the power that guy chose, Kiari, he's the most dangerous one," Zoe said.

"More than Kurt-Adam?"

"His whole ability revolves around explosions and such. There's no real utility with a power like that. It's meant for destruction and killing. Truly repugnant."

"The jig is up. You have a zero chance of winning," Kiari said in a bored tone, watching Ivy struggle to her feet again.

Her voice was raspy. It hurt to breathe, much less talk. "I don't care," she spat. "I'm still standing." Her clothes were caked with dirt and blood. When she opened her mouth, Kiari noted that several teeth were missing.

Kiari looked down at himself. His clothes were torn, and his skin was scratched. No new wounds had been made from Ivy's attacks. He looked her in the eye, her aggressive stare never leaving his. Her hands were by her side, tightly wrapped around the brass knuckles. It was as if she were leaving herself totally open.

They were several yards away from each other.

"Alright then, I guess I was wrong. I may have to try after all," he said, holding his hand out in front of him, fingers wide and extended. "Though I am curious.... How did you manage to unlock your energy in such a short time?"

"Jashin...he helped." Her throat burned with every word. "And I worked until I was almost dead, then my body activated it to save me."

'She used the same method Kurt-Adam used,' he thought.

Within a second, he was inches away, his hand reaching for her face. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Ivy's arm moving, winding up to hit him. He lurched backward, avoiding the incoming strike. But it wasn't aimed at him. No. Her fist slammed into the side of a nearby tree. Splinters and bark flew into Kiari's face, catching him off-guard and briefly blinding him. He swung wildly in the direction where he last saw her, touching nothing but air.

Blood ran down the side of his mouth as he hunched over. 'Ugh, right in my stomach. Damn, she can hit!' He looked around, finally spotting her. Back in the same spot as before. Several yards away. Behind her, the glare from the store windows threaded the needle through the trees, shining right into Kiari's eyes. 'I guess I'll just kill her then. I'm sure the other ones will give up some information once they see she died.'

He calmly strutted towards her. Feeling more confident with every step. He reached forward, only able to snag the front of her t-shirt. Using it to toss her through the clearing into a row of nearby houses.

'What the hell! I've blown multiple chances to off her! Is something distracting me? Maybe I'm too tired; I used too much energy against those two. No...that's not it,' Kiari thought. Ivy looked on, noticing that the man's entire demeanor seemed to change in under a second. He looked down at her, a dark shadow over his face.