24

Jashin and Idris stood on the other side of the door; there was a deafening silence as the two groups stared at each other. Kiari noticed the odd look of confidence radiating from them as they looked right past Marlin and Geier straight at him. Their gazes almost made him want to look away.

Behind the two, a pile of Kiari's grunts was knocked unconscious.

"Talk," Kiari directed.

Both Jashin and Idris held their hands up to the sky. The move surprised all three of them.

Jashin cleared his throat, "We've come to a decision. We will lead you to the Angel's Ring and let you take it."

Kiari's eyes narrowed, "You'll just let us? Why now?"

"We just don't want any more bloodshed. This used to be a peaceful village, and we want it to stay that way. Everyone is tired, hungry, and they just want their lives back."

Kiari was silent. He stared at Jashin, looking for any sign of deception.

"Hold on," Marlin said. "You think we'd trust this?"

Idris stepped forward, "We can tell you where it is and lead you to it. But only we can open the doorway."

"Elaborate," Marlin commanded laconically.

Idris shrugged, "Only people born of this village can open the doorway to the temple. It's just how it is. Don't know why; never questioned it. One of the people you guys killed would have known the reason...." Jashin put his hand on Idris' shoulder to quiet him.

"Listen," he said. "We don't want any more trouble. So can we all call a cease-fire?"

Both Geier and Marlin looked at Kiari for his reaction. There was a long pause, the nurse's words echoing in his mind. "Let's go," he finally said after glancing at the second-story floor.

Geier's eagles flew high above the two groups as they walked. Geier made sure they would alert him of anyone following them or any upcoming ambushes.

Fallen leaves crunched under Kiari's bare feet as he walked a few feet behind Jashin.

Jashin suddenly flinched and jumped to the side, Kiari's hand missing the back of his neck but wrapped around Jashin's wrist. "What is he doing? I let myself get caught off guard! We may have to screw the plan and fight right here," Jashin thought just as his hand connected.

Kiari's eyes were wide and unblinking as they stared into Jashin's. Idris reached into his pocket, his hands tight around his purple dice. Behind him, a sea-green wavy aura surrounded Marlin as he slowly raised his hands; one pointed at Jashin and the other toward Idris.

Kiari spoke, "Do you happen to know what a nitro-cell is?" His voice was calm and slow.

"A...what?" Jashin said, confusion flowing through his mind.

Kiari let go of his wrist, "Oh, never mind. Don't worry about it. Let's keep going."

Jashin stared at him, not sure how to proceed. "If you try something like that again, the truce is canceled. We will send an alert to the people who are inside the temple to destroy the ring."

Marlin glared at Jashin, 'He's clearly bluffing. He must think we're imbeciles,' he thought.

Kiari just gestured for Jashin to keep moving forward; eventually, he did. Kiari noticed that both Jashin and Idris' guards were completely up; he wouldn't have another chance. He would have to try it on Idris since he could only place one bomb at a time on a person.